Thread: Help writing a 'script' to open a java application in dash home

Beans

Help writing a 'script' to open a java application in dash home

Hello, I apologize in advance if I am posting on the wrong forum, or if what I am trying to accomplish is impractical.
    I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I found a nice little program which takes a .pdf file and opens it, and crops the .pdf to size. This is called briss-0.9. I can run the application by executing following command in terminal: java -jar briss-0.9.jar or java -jar briss-0.9.jar cropthis.pdf. For the moment I have this file in my downloads folder. But every time I want to crop a .pdf, i have to cd to the DL folder and execute the command.
    What I would like to do is to simplify this is to have it so I can click the "Dash Home" icon and type pdf or briss in the search and have the program appear in there. Then I can one-click on it and have it auto-execute. (Rather than me going into terminal every time).
    Can a script be written to automate this, or is there another approach I can use?
    I've tried other cropping software such as gscan2pdf and pdfshuffler and a few others, but none of them works very well on my computer or crashed.
    If I could make loading briss from the dash it would be congenial.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Help writing a 'script' to open a java application in dash home

You need to create a .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications (or in /usr/share/applications if you want it to work for other users on your box). You will also need to write a small shell script wrapper that runs your Java program with appropriate options. To complete the Dash/Launcher experience, you'll also need an icon.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Un...ndDesktopFiles
    http://standards.freedesktop.org/des...y-spec/latest/

If you already have a Java application installed, e.g. Netbeans or Eclipse, you could use their .desktop files as a starting point. You'll find those in /usr/share/applications.