Thread: Kernel 3.7 crashes initializing SATA hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Kernel 3.7 crashes initializing SATA hard drive

I've noticed for some time now that I was unable to boot successfully using Kernel 3.7. My system hard drive is connected via IDE, whereas my extra internal is connected via SATA.

Out of luck, I attempted to boot into Kernel 3.7 while my extra (SATA, EXT 3, 1 TB) hard drive was disconnected and it booted successfully. I've confirmed by connecting the hard drive that it fails.

With the hard drive connected, the latest Kernel I'm about to use is Kernel 3.5. I'd like to resolve the issue. Where should I begin looking? How can I obtain the full logs from an unsuccessful boot?

Thanks!

EDIT:
    I'm seeing the same thing that fdm is seeing here (but that thread isn't specific to the issue).
    Last edited by kyleabaker; January 6th, 2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Found someone else with this issue

Beans
    Distro

Re: Kernel 3.7 crashes initializing SATA hard drive

since I have a mixed system both ide and sata internal drives I have been unable to boot ANY 3.6 or 3.7 kernel ( 3.8rc1 works good ) , it seems that the system is freezing BEFORE logging is started , I never get any log files from failed boots , only successful ones with either 3.5 or 3.8 kernels .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

You're suggesting that this issue is resolved with Kernel 3.8? Will 3.8 be the default for Ubuntu 13.04?

Beans
    Distro

3.8 resolves it for me (and others with the same problem ) see here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2097058 . . 3.8 is supposed to be the kernel for raring release I believe .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough