Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethernet Cable Outdoors?

Beans

Ethernet Cable Outdoors?

Is it safe to run ethernet cable outdoors in the winter?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Ethernet Cable Outdoors?

It's "safe" to run in that it won't hurt you or anyone else if anything happens to it, but if you want it to be reliable then you should use outdoor rated cable and connections.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    It's "safe" to run in that it won't hurt you or anyone else if anything happens to it, but if you want it to be reliable then you should use outdoor rated cable and connections.
    Pretty Much This..

But just keep in mind the sun on a bright day can add interference and if it storms there you dont want it to get struck by lightning. Water can ground it out if it develops cracks overtime. If your looking for a long term solution I would get something like cat 5 shielded or better and shoot it down some PVC pipe and bury it.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post Re: Ethernet Cable Outdoors?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Pretty Much This..

But just keep in mind the sun on a bright day can add interference and if it storms there you dont want it to get struck by lightning. Water can ground it out if it develops cracks overtime. If your looking for a long term solution I would get something like cat 5 shielded or better and shoot it down some PVC pipe and bury it.
    Exactly! Very well written. There are also FTP (Foiled Twisted Pair) and SFTP (Shielded Filed Twisted Pair) types of cables. Some of them are rated for outdoors. But yeah... standard Ethernet cable would do it, the question is for how long you'll have connectivity...
    Registered Linux User #534948

Beans

Ya know I dont know why I didnt think to add this. You can always set up a wireless connection. I have seen some of the really good wireless routers and cards work as far as 300 feet before the single went to bad. Just add a good password and turn off beaconing and no one will be able to use it or even know its there.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU

Beans

Heres a cable example
    http://www.wlanparts.com/product/950...FQeynQodOHoA-g

I also agree that some of the better wifi routers and AP's will cover the distance easy
    To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
    Author: Robert Orben

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chadk5utc View Post
    Heres a cable example
    http://www.wlanparts.com/product/950...FQeynQodOHoA-g

I also agree that some of the better wifi routers and AP's will cover the distance easy
    Yea just checking my signal strength. Local Library is 200ish feet away in a brick cement building and I am in an appartment that brick and on the other side of two other apartments in between us. I am getting full strength connection. Now if I only had their password.. LOL

Beans

Haha Yea I hear that. I use PicoStationM2HP for my main AP(linux based)@$75 and a PicoStationM2HP remotely about 150yards no problems ever and can access my primary AP at around .5 mile further if I raise it up higher
    To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
    Author: Robert Orben

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The cable will work fine until the sun breaks down the outer jacket, the kids pull it down off of the clothesline, and the squirrels chew on it.

Either bury it, leave it flat on the ground, or fly it high. It will work until it doesn't work.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    The cable will work fine until the sun breaks down the outer jacket, the kids pull it down off of the clothesline, and the squirrels chew on it.

Either bury it, leave it flat on the ground, or fly it high. It will work until it doesn't work.
    well the cable cost me about $12 so i'll take my chances for now.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast