Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12.xx Installer does not load while trying to create a Win8 Dual Boot with EFI

Beans

Re: 12.xx Installer does not load while trying to create a Win8 Dual Boot with EFI

OldFred,

I don't know if it is on purpose or not but it sure seems like they're all out against me on this one LOL...

I have tried using a wired connection and still no internet! This thing is dead in the water, networking wise without Windows... (i guess dead in the water period without Windows!)

YannBuntu,

Thats what I figured, there were so many different Grubs tailored per machine that it would not be possible.

Thanks everybody for the help! I think after 2 weeks of wrestling with this, it is now at the point where it is impractical to try any more.

Now I need to find equivalent software that Ubuntu Studio offers that works on Windows...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: 12.xx Installer does not load while trying to create a Win8 Dual Boot with EFI

Quote Originally Posted by guyfromfl View Post
    when I boot the install CD, I get a Grub menu that says:
    Code:
    Try Ubuntu
    Install Ubuntu
    Check Disc for Errors
    when I select any of the options the screen goes blank and nothing happens from there.

I have been able to install it in Legacy mode.

I have tried:
    -Disabling Fast Boot
    -Enabling Secure Boot
    -Selecting Custom Keys (not HP Keys)
    -Booting the DVD from the BIOS's boot menu
    --Tried selecting each of the options from the GRUB menu (Try, Install, Check DVD)
    -Loading the EFI manually

No matter how I try to boot the installer, I get a blank screen.
    You may need to add the 'nomodeset' option when booting: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bo...t_Boot_Options

Also, i don't understand when you say "No matter how I try to boot the installer, I get a blank screen.", because just before you said the contrary: "I have been able to install it in Legacy mode."

Beans

Re: 12.xx Installer does not load while trying to create a Win8 Dual Boot with EFI

Yann,

I will try the nomodeset option.

What I meant was no matter what I try in UEFI, I get a blank screen after the DVD's Grub. If I run the disk in legacy, it goes through with the installation.

I thought it was bad to install an OS in legacy if Windows8 is installed in UEFI?

Also, it will not boot if I install in legacy, and since I cannot get networking on the LiveDVD to run Boot-Repair, I am screwed anyway...
    Last edited by guyfromfl; January 6th, 2013 at 11:37 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123