Thread: Error on running squid using make command

Beans

Error on running squid using make command

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to ubuntu and I'm planning to run squid 3.1.10 on ubuntu server 12.04.1 LTS 64bit. I'm compiling it from a clean source from squid website. I got build-essentials installed and the compilation was successful. When I run the make command, I got this error (these are the last lines) :

g++: warning: switch '-fhuge-objects' is no longer supported
    User.cc: In static member function 'static void AuthUser::CachedACLsReset()':
    User.cc:161:17: error: variable 'username' set but not used [-Werror=unused-but-set-variable]
    cc1plus: all warnings being treated as errors

make[3]: *** [User.lo] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/squid-3.1.10/src/auth'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/squid-3.1.10/src'
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/squid-3.1.10/src'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    root@liklik:~/squid-3.1.10#

Please help me guys. I promise I'll help in return. Happy New Year to all of you.

Beans

Re: Error on running squid using make command

Please help me guys. Any suggestions? This is my code. I successfully compiled it but after that, when I use the make command, I got the error stated above.

./configure --prefix=/opt/squid/ --with-logdir=/var/log/squid/ --with-pidfile=/var/run/squid.pid --enable-storeio=ufs, aufs --enable-removal-policies=lru, heap --enable-icmp --enable-useragent-log --enable-referer-log --enable-cache-digests --with-large-files --enable-delay-pools --enable-follow-x-forwarded-for --enable-auth --with-filedescriptors=8192

Help will be much appreciated.

Beans

Re: Error on running squid using make command

I don't understand what you mean - if you "successfully compiled it" why are you running make now? for the install? or did you mean to say you successfully configured it?

Bottom line is, if the makefile has the -Werror=unused-but-set-variable flag set, and the source code has and unused-but-set-variable, then the build is going to fail

Is there any particular reason you need that version? 3.1.19 is in the 12.04 repository