Thread: Steam Thief Gold

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Steam Thief Gold

According to WineHQ it works for one person but I keep getting the error invalid parameters. I have done everything on this page except Tfix http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=26146

Using Playonlinux with Wine 1.5.10. Precise 32bit fully patch with a GTX650 Intel 2.6Ghz.

Beans

Re: Steam Thief Gold

Hi,
    I managed to make it work even without TFix (on Ubuntu 12.04 amd64 + wine 1.5.20), but I strongly recommend to apply TFix, as there seems to be no downside. Among other things, the engine seems to be partially updated, so it looks better (textures & some meshes), uses directx 9, ingame resolution switching (for resolutions above 800x600; no widescreen without the widescreen patch though -> in my case: 1920x1080x32 with 2 black stripes on each side of the screen to make it have a 4:3 aspect ratio), the sound-buffering issue in videos disappears, and it also runs noticeably faster.

I kinda used a shotgun approach for now, so probably only some of the things are necessary from the ones listed below. When I figure out which are the truly necessary ones, I submit a test result to winehq, too.
    I used vanilla wine from the ubuntu wine ppa ( https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa ), then iirc:
    - installed steam with the winetricks script (automatically to a separate wineprefix):
    Using the gui: Install an app->steam)
    OR the command line:
    Code:
    winetricks steam
    Then use it with the '-no-dwrite' command line option.
    - all other operations were done in the scope of the new "steam" wineprefix:
    Code:
    export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam
    - I always set the vendor, model and video-memory size manually (just to be sure) for every wineprefix I create by adding the corresponding registry entries (I made a .reg file to speed it up) – use the http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys page as a reference ("Direct3D" section).
    To get the vendor and model numbers, I did the following:
    1) Get the domain/bus/slot number of my card:
    Code:
    sudo lspci | grep VGA
    It's output for me is:
    Code:
    05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] (rev a2)
    2) Just list my video card, but with numeric codes instead of strings:
    Code:
    sudo lspci -s 05:00.0 -n
    Output is:
    Code:
    05:00.0 0300: 10de:0614 (rev a2)
    Then the vendor is "10de" and the model is "0614"

In my case (NVidia GeForce 9800 GT, 512 MB onboard RAM):
    The file contents of my "nvidia-geforce_9800gt.reg":
    Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
    "VideoMemorySize"="512"
    "VideoPciDeviceID"=dword:00000614
    "VideoPciVendorID"=dword:000010de
    And I apply it with:
    Code:
    regedit nvidia-geforce_9800gt.reg
    - installed the indeo codecs to make the intro and the cutscenes work:
    Code:
    winetricks icodecs
    - installed the visual c++ 2008 runtime and direct3d dlls (in advance for TFix, and just in case..):
    Code:
    winetricks vcrun2008 d3dx9 d3dx9_43
    (For some reason, 'd3dx9' didn't install the d3dx9_43 dll(s) and steam needed it, so I had to do it separately.)
    - as for me starting the tutorial crashed with a GDI switching error, I activated the GDI DirectDrawRenderer instead of the default OpenGL:
    Code:
    winetricks ddr=gdi
    Iirc, that was all I did, and the game ran even without TFix, but the tutorial (all I tried) was strangely slow, and the audio-buffering problem was present in the videos (it was hard to understand what the talking was about).

Then I Installed TFix 1.13 (with NewDrak v1.19; from here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733 ) to the steam game directory, and everything seems perfect now. (I went through the tutorial and the first mission.)
    - Install TFix (to the same "steam" prefix, as everything above):
    Code:
    wine TFix_1.13.exe
    In my case, I had to install it to:
    Code:
    "Z:\home\myusername\.local\share\wineprefixes\steam\drive_c\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\thief_gold\"
    (I used the default install options: everything except the DromEd update.)

Now, I have to prepare for some exams, but sometime later I will try to drop the unnecessary steps/components and submit a winehq test result.

Good luck.
    Last edited by _6i; January 4th, 2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: grammar; clarifications

Beans
    Distro

Wow thanks your reply, I will try this and report back.

Beans
    Distro

Ok that works very well. I am now up to Cragscleft prison.

Thanks for taking your time to write up a comprehensive reply. I hope it helps others in the future too. I actually installed wine manually and set my Video card correctly.

I will submit a Wine report.

thanks again!