Thread: Ubuntu mobile is an opportunity or a threat to free software?

Beans

Post Ubuntu mobile is an opportunity or a threat to free software?

Is the mobile operating system "Ubuntu", a gateway to the influx of non-free software toward the GNU/Linux?
    As you know, mobile applications are very popular with developers, programmers, the majority of whom may not be aware of the philosophy of free software. Whether this will lead to an All-out attack from closed source proprietary software toward GNU/Linux? This fear is especially in the domain of mobile games!

Or, conversely, this event is a great opportunity for free software developers to be able to present their achievements in the past 25 years for users of proprietary software?

In short, Whether Ubuntu would be a blessing or a shame, in the future of free software?
    Last edited by GnuKian; January 3rd, 2013 at 10:07 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu mobile is an opportunity or a threat to free software?

It is an opportunity
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

F = Fear. U = Uncertainty. D = Doubt. Altogether = FUD.

The proprietary software community invented FUD. So, why are the proponents of Free and Open Source Software using the business methods of proprietary software sellers?
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    It is an opportunity
    It is not just an opprtunity. It is a huge opportunity for Free Software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dr. C View Post
    it is not just an opprtunity. It is a huge opportunity for free software.
    +1
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    F = Fear. U = Uncertainty. D = Doubt. Altogether = FUD.

The proprietary software community invented FUD. So, why are the proponents of Free and Open Source Software using the business methods of proprietary software sellers?
    freedom to use , freedom to develop ,

individuals:

individuals have a right to that freedom , without the need of a signing body, to which then dictates that freedom.

to dictate at this level requires money , or putting it bluntly "we need your dosh to survive".

on the up side of the OP.

For Ubuntu users I think this could be opportunity , opportunism it , make money from 1.99$ + apps , or if want can be free ,

Start programming.

PS:

Just notice that Sticky bit at the head, What! NO BEANS , now that's what I call Sticky . agh well my first app ain't going to be free. I use the money to buy my own ..
    Last edited by alexfish; January 4th, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Its an oppertunity.

If/when i make an app, I will most likely use the "android model" that many has used, which means theres a free version, but the first time its run a message will pop up asking for a donation if the app is enjoyed. Remember that even though things are developed and given away freely, spending 2$ saying thank you is a well appreciated pat on the shoulder. I mean, projects such as vlc player also runs on donation, and isn't that an awesome program?

I sure don't mind giving such projects whatever change i have in my pockets, and if people just give back what they can when they take some, its all going to be fine. I know people will argue this is not the proper mindset for being for Open Source and free software, but hey; making a piece of software takes time, and it can be a hard piece of work, with which i have no problem paying for, the money is even handed over with a big smile if it is not something i am forced to give.
    "We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds." -Linus Thorvalds
    "I our department, we can do anything! ... There's a timeframe? in that case, nevermind my previous statement." - My Colleague