Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.10 can i drag and drop music on to my iphone 4s

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 12.10 can i drag and drop music on to my iphone 4s

I was under the impression that iOS 6 and above can't be connected to from Ubuntu yet. Correct me I am wrong. I am runninng iPhone 4S with iOS 6.0.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

GTK pod and hippo or something like that used to work just fine. Lately nautilus has done the job once it mounts, and you have to know the file system a little in the ipod, but it works. But the last iPod I tried was a year ago.

The 4s is accessible through clementine (like has been said) or banshee if I'm not mistaken. Like it's been said twice already too, I'll say again, Apple makes it harder than it needs to be, and the Zune isn't accessible at ALL in any linux, only VM. My ladt friend has a 4s and I've been using clementine, but i've heard banshee is just as good - just a little on the heavier side.

Also makes me wonder why people just don't buy simple 8GB mp3 players - WITH external micro-SD slot - for $50 rather than $300 for an mp3 player with angry birds. it's cheaper, easier, and less breakable and requires no iTunes or special junk at all... just a computer that can mount the device. It's no harder on linux than on windows or mac though. I don't know anyone who has one, but the android mp3 players are a hell of a lot easier than an ipod too.

Damn it Apple, you suck.

EDIT* - Her iPhone, though, isn't iOS 6 yet... it's stil 5 point somehting, and the ipod was 4 point something... so I may be way off here. VM for now is probably the best bet if iOS 6 isn't ready to connect to superior systems yet.
    Last edited by JiuJitsu500; January 4th, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
    When your entire life is measured in one moment, you change the concept of time.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JiuJitsu500 View Post
    GTK pod and hippo or something like that used to work just fine. Lately nautilus has done the job once it mounts, and you have to know the file system a little in the ipod, but it works. But the last iPod I tried was a year ago.

The 4s is accessible through clementine (like has been said) or banshee if I'm not mistaken. Like it's been said twice already too, I'll say again, Apple makes it harder than it needs to be, and the Zune isn't accessible at ALL in any linux, only VM. My ladt friend has a 4s and I've been using clementine, but i've heard banshee is just as good - just a little on the heavier side.

Also makes me wonder why people just don't buy simple 8GB mp3 players - WITH external micro-SD slot - for $50 rather than $300 for an mp3 player with angry birds. it's cheaper, easier, and less breakable and requires no iTunes or special junk at all... just a computer that can mount the device. It's no harder on linux than on windows or mac though. I don't know anyone who has one, but the android mp3 players are a hell of a lot easier than an ipod too.

Damn it Apple, you suck.

EDIT* - Her iPhone, though, isn't iOS 6 yet... it's stil 5 point somehting, and the ipod was 4 point something... so I may be way off here. VM for now is probably the best bet if iOS 6 isn't ready to connect to superior systems yet.
    correct, Ubuntu can NOT connect anything iOS 6+ as of yet

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    correct, Ubuntu can NOT connect anything iOS 6+ as of yet
    Kernel 3.2.36 has iPhone support (iOS 6x support)

I believe

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    kernel 3.2.36 has iphone support (ios 6x support)

i believe

link?

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    that appears to be for internet tethering, the file transfer protocol or libraries are another matter but I could be wrong.
    http://www.libimobiledevice.org/

Which is needed if using clementine https://code.google.com/p/clementine...ortableDevices

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    thanks

Beans
    Distro

running iOS 6+, there doesn't appear to be a way to sync music yet. Has anyone succeeded in putting music from their ubuntu computer onto an iphone 4S running iOS 6+?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12