Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: want to try debian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

want to try debian

Hello, i am wanting to try debian 6.0.6 first without installing.but every time i boot the live cd all i get is a black screen with white text. can anyone help me with which option i should choose to try it first without installing. thanks
    Running through the field Where all my tracks will be concealed.

Beans
    Distro

Re: want to try debian

The live mode doesn't always work which is why they have alternate modes (GUI installer, command line installer). If you can post the errors it would help but it might not be worth your time to troubleshoot if you can just install it to try it out, maybe on a spare disk?

Beans
    Distro

My experience is that Debian isn't really well suited to trying out on a live cd - the full set of drivers will probably not be there, hence your black screen with white text. Debian iso images are primarily installers, and during the install process you often have to download and add the necessary wifi and other drivers for your system. If you have a newer pc (ie less than two or three years old) it can also be problematic running Debian without installing software from the Debian backports repository - depending on the components of the pc (for example installing Debian 6.0.6 on an intel sandy bridge processor was problematic for me without installing a newer linux kernel and newer version of xorg etc from the debian backports repository).

All the same I like Debian stable, it is a very robust distro, and worth exploring and using. I would suggest that the best way to try it out is to use a virtual environment (eg with virtualbox) and run the standard Debian installer there.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ld114 View Post
    If you have a newer pc (ie less than two or three years old) it can also be problematic running Debian without installing software from the Debian backports repository - depending on the components of the pc (for example installing Debian 6.0.6 on an intel sandy bridge processor was problematic for me without installing a newer linux kernel and newer version of xorg etc from the debian backports repository).
    +1 - if you have newer hardware, you may want to consider Debian 7 - wheezy testing. Debian 7 net install cd pulls in Gnome 3 as the desktop environment. So if you want to check out a similar Gnome 3 DE, try Fedora 17 Live CD. You can test Gnome 3 with out installing.

If you have newer hardware and want Gnome 2 - Linux Mint MATE is your friend

Beans
    Distro

Thanks everyone for your replies. may just give Debian 7 net install a try. I have heard netinstalls can be problematic though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by boregard View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies. may just give Debian 7 net install a try. I have heard netinstalls can be problematic though.
    Only if you install via wi-fi in some instances.

Beans
    Distro

much thanks to all replies. ill mark thread as solved. peace

Beans

Yeah debian can be a little tricky if you dont know where to start or try out.
    Personally I have always used the net installer as it needs less disks, but that too can be tricky if you dont have hardware that debian is compatible with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I had the same issues running the live cd, but ended up creating a new partition for it. I'd certainly recommend persisting, I'm really enjoying tinkering with it. Good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by boregard View Post
    Hello, i am wanting to try debian 6.0.6 first without installing.but every time i boot the live cd all i get is a black screen with white text.
    In such case, it is useful to posting the concrete URL where the iso file is downloaded and the concrete error messages (written in white text).

Adding "nomodeset" to kernel option sometimes helps if graphical issue causes the problem.
    Last edited by kiyop; January 5th, 2013 at 02:32 AM.
    OpenBox: Debian Wheezy, Sid, Snowlinux, Aptosid, Siduction, Crunchbang, Ubuntu, Mint, ZorinOS, OS4, Arch, Manjaro, Mageia, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Slackware, Win XP/7
    http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast