Thread: I Book G3 Installation Problems

Beans

I Book G3 Installation Problems

Trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS PPC, but I run into all types of errors.
    My IBook22 G3 specs are:
    600 MHz PPC 750FX (G3) CPU 512k level 2 cache
    256 MB RAM
    20 GB HDD
    LG CD-ROM CRN-8245B
    2X AGP ATI Mobility Radeon 16 MB of VRAM

I'm using a CD-RW and I burned the ISO with CyberLink Power2Go 8 at x4 on a Sony DVD-RW AW-Q1T0A Drive.
    I'm also using a 2GB MicroSD card with an USB adapter (both San Disk)(i have a San Disk flash drive 8GB I could use but would need to back up the data first)

The IBook doesnt recognize the USB or the CD (when not in Mac OS X 10.3.9) nor will it boot from it when holding "C" during startup so I have to go into Open Firmware. Using these commands i get the following errors:

Command: boot CD,\INSTALL\YABOOT (Without ethernet cord plugged in)
    Error: can't open: enet:bootp

Command: boot CD,\\TBXI
    Error: BOOTP/BSDP failed: no filename specified can't OPEN: enet:bootp

Sometimes when using either command for a CD I get this
    "block0 is bad can't open"

Command: boot USB,\\TBXI

Command: boot usb,\install\yaboot

I put the vmlinux, yaboot, yaboot.conf files on the root of the HDD, tho I cant find where initrd.gz is, the closest thing is Packages.gz. When I try the following commands:

Command: boot hd:0,yaboot
    Error: DISK-LABEL: LOAD (NONINTERPOSED) not supportedload-size=0 adler32=1 LOAD-SIZE is too small

Command: boot hd:0,\\tbxi
    Error: DISK-LABEL: LOAD (NONINTERPOSED) not supportedload-size=0 adler32=1 LOAD-SIZE is too small

I used the following guides as help:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...%20USB%20Stick (used manual approach)

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/instal...ive-files.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/instal...#boot-newworld

What is wrong with this machine, that wont let it start yaboot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I Book G3 Installation Problems

You meet the minimum requirements, but I think there's an alternate install for that. It won't work with amd64 or x86 installs... as you're very aware.

I'm also a little drunk so I didn't really read most of your post, sorry I just read the part where you said PPC in the first line, oops

Anyway though, try a lighter distro, like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Older hardware is not lost with XFCE and LXDE. I have Lubuntu on a almost-decade-year-old laptop running like a champ with less specs than yours. I did a couple macs a few years ago and the forums there were raging.

Try posting in Apple Users forums too
    When your entire life is measured in one moment, you change the concept of time.

Beans

No matter what OS I try I still get the same problems. It might be the CD-RW, so I'll burn it with a CD-R and see what happens.

Beans

I burned it with a CD-R, but when I boot holding "c" i get a grey screen followed by the globe icon then the flashing folder/ question mark. I tried switching the boot disk in system preferences but the CD-ROM was not accessible so I went back to using my usb. Then the friggin terminal wouldnt convert the iso to .img so i skipped that and just used the sudo dd command with the iso and it booted!