Thread: Nginx and Rsync

Beans

Nginx and Rsync

Hello again!

So, I recently made a setup with Nginx as a load balancer to 2 webservers. And I installed rsync on both the webservers.
    Now I am in some kind of trouble.
    When I installed Rsync, I made a crontab file that syncs the var/www/ directory from each server with each other, every minute.
    The thing is that if I edit something on my first server and the minute from the second server is over, all is deleted and it looks just like it was on webserver 2.

I need to have something that makes it sync whenever a change is made and then syncs with second server and vice versa.

Hope you can help me!

Thanks in advance!
    Greetings
    Last edited by Rpgglitchy; March 12th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.

Beans

Re: Nginx and Rsync

If you don't want to deal with block-level replication I suggest you to try Lsyncd, it will do what you are looking for. Lsyncd's daemon watches a directory recursively for events and replicates it asynchronously in near real-time, which will help keeping you from getting incoherence between nodes. It's secure, reliable and fairly easy to use. You can find tutorials for building HA webservers with it, and if for some reason it doesn't fit your needs, the next step before Fuse/GlusterFS would be Csync2.

Just bear in mind that if you are looking for replicating databases as well, you'll need to look somewhere else (DRBD, MySQL Cluster/Replication).

Beans

Real time Rsync

Hi again, thx for your reply!

I am having some trouble with Lsyncd, Doesn't seem to co-operate with me
    So I was wondering if there was some way to use some sort of script that notices when a file is changed in a directory and run the Rsync command?
    As I have seen some cool Ubuntu magic so far, that seems rather doable. But I lack the experience to come up with anything

Or maybe someone has a link to a good Lsync tutorial? I dunno really..

But thx in advance! ^^

Greetings

Beans

Re: Nginx and Rsync

If you just want bidirectional sync then look at unison in the standard packages.
    Last edited by markbl; March 1st, 2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: sp

Beans

It works

Thank you for your reply!
    I tried Unison and it works like a charm!
    Thx again

Greetings