Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new social network in the works?

Beans

A new social network in the works?

It looks as though a new social network may be in the works. (http://igg.me/p/302944/x/1995247) This one seems to be more focused on sane privacy controls and simplicity. It'll be interesting to see if anything becomes of their efforts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A new social network in the works?

Not to be a pessimist, but I don't see this doing well against Facebook. I could be wrong, but if Google couldn't pull it off, I wonder if anyone will be able to.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferRex View Post
    Not to be a pessimist, but I don't see this doing well against Facebook. I could be wrong, but if Google couldn't pull it off, I wonder if anyone will be able to.
    Google couldn't pull it off? From the perspective of an active G+ user it's quite lively there (and my stream is also much more interesting there than in Facebook). Especially Free Software/Open Source minded people can find lots engagement and interesting folks to follow (Ubuntu is trending right now e.g and in the explore section)

As far as Group Hug goes, I don't see any concrete features which make it better than G+ and if you want to really be in control of your data and/or use open source, then there is already the diaspora and friendica project, so I really don't see the need for Group Hug right now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are hundreds of "social networks" out there. I suppose it just depends on the definition. Since I don't use twitter, facebook or G+ ... actually, all of those are blocked at the router ... I'm probably not the best person to comment.

However, I have thought about deploying a node on a decentralized social network for family and friends to use. The hardest part will be convincing other people to bother connecting. Facebook, Twitter and G+ aren't exactly open with their connection APIs, so there is little desire on their part to integrate with alternative social networks. Still, Identi.ca is a twitter-like clone that has attracted many F/LOSS project teams who prefer an open standards and federated architecture (more like email, than CompuServ mail).

Federate services should always be preferred over centralized ones if you care about openness, interoperability, and more competition.
    </soapbox>

Sorry about that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I wish the site luck and as for Google they are abandoning some services this year. https://plus.google.com/+RahulRoy/posts/LvUHBjQ8CAR
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Is there really a need for another social networking site? It will just be another thing to forget to check.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

there will be a new one and FB will not forever hold the lead. I remember way back of sconex (spelt wrong), then it was Myspace, then came Facebook. Next to have a huge following?
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tjeremiah View Post
    there will be a new one and FB will not forever hold the lead. I remember way back of sconex (spelt wrong), then it was Myspace, then came Facebook. Next to have a huge following?
    Before that was AOL, Prodogy, CompuServ .... BBSes. Anyone remember second-life?

Something "new" will happen. Why did MySpace get replaced by Facebook? Something along those lines will cause Facebook to be gone eventually.

It will probably require an internal implosion. They are not stupid and facebook will be around for many years after wards, just like other "effectively dead" organizations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Seems to me that they all eventually get too big for their britches and topple from the top of the heap.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i don't see this going anywhere. Myspace is trying to make a comeback, we have google+ and facebook already. there's just no room for another one IMHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast