Thread: Wireless dongles

Beans

Wireless dongles

So I was cruising around my local MicroCenter and noticed they had on sale one of these USB wireless dongle. Since my VAIO is 7+ years old it has the older wifi slower speed spec'd unit inside. If I were to buy this and just plug it into the USB port it should just work right and take over my existing wifi on board. I know it's seems like an obvious question but I'm sure xubuntu has that PnP feature in it right?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...USB_20_Adapter

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Wireless dongles

I have a computer approximately the same age as yours running Xubuntu using a Belkin wireless USB dongle very similar to the one you have listed without any issues.

Never used Tenda brand before so have no idea if that particular one will work, but I expect it will. According to my quick internet search that brand/model does appear to be Linux compatible. Worst case, you lose $10.

Also, you might have to adjust some settings to turn off the on-board wireless, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue (if any at all). Likely (just an educated guess) you may end up with two sets of wireless networks listed (with wlan0 and wlan1), just pick the one being received by the dongle.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; August 7th, 2013 at 12:57 AM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I did not see anything at there site that said linux is supported, it all depends on the chip.

Beans
    Hidden!

A google search pulls up these on the first page of results.

From here (tenda driver support for model W311M)
    1.This driver fits for Windows/Linux/Mac OS.
    From here (third party sales)
    * Compatible with Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000/, MAC OS and Linux
    From here (third party sales)
    Compatible with Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000/, MAC OS and Linux
    I would say it is most likely compatible.

I did notice that the site provided by the OP isn't consistent on which model they are selling... W311M or W311U? However, I also found similar listings for W311U stating it's Linux compatible.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; August 7th, 2013 at 05:13 AM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans

thank you for the replies, i'll have to double check at the store to find out if it's a W311M or U

I have a wifi physical switch on the laptop I can turn the onboard wifi off

Im having a blast w/ xubuntu and a STEEP learning curve. I haven't used my macbook air tonight so that's a sign LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by duan2 View Post
    thank you for the replies, i'll have to double check at the store to find out if it's a W311M or U

I have a wifi physical switch on the laptop I can turn the onboard wifi off

Im having a blast w/ xubuntu and a STEEP learning curve. I haven't used my macbook air tonight so that's a sign LOL
    I imagine it depends on the model but with Thinkpads, turning off the little network slider switch disables all wireless networks, internal and USB. Something to keep in mind. According to wikidevi, the Tenda W311M uses the Ralink 5370 chip which should be plug 'n' play on 13.04 and I think 12.10. I'm not certain it'd be plug'n' play on 12.04. I suspect not, you may need to compile the driver for 12.04. Same source says W311U uses the Ralink 3070 chipset. I have a micro/nano adapter using the 5370 chipset and it works, no experience with the 3070 chipset.