Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu phone OS

Beans

Re: Ubuntu phone OS

yeah,

i got it, it may or it may not work completely, but please could tell me your opinion regarding an old HTC legend that i have, i am seriously thinking this afternoon in performing a flash on it, the only thing that i am not sure of is if the processor can hold up to the installation....

kr

Beans

assuming that the phone is unlocked, and you begin with the command
    phablet-flash -b what is the full bootstrap thing ? what does it mean?after that it says:

phablet-flashThis will deploy the latest build onto your device. Your device should reboot into the Ubuntu Unity shell.
    Notes:

• the files are saved in Downloads/phablet-flash.
    • If the deploy fails(ex boots to black screen), try wiping the /data partition on your device and redeploy (how you wipe the data ???????? is there any certain command?????? )
    • phablet-flash will not work unless you have booted your device (it must not be displaying the boot loader screen and "adb devices" should list your device). (abd services ???? why since i have added the repositories do not open?????)

kr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vrettasvasilis View Post
    … please could tell me your opinion regarding an old HTC legend
    My opinion — and this is only an opinion — is that it won't work. The system has been tested on only the hardware available, and it took a few months of work. The drivers are designed for that hardware.

No doubt, when the technology matures, more drivers will be available, but until then expect to do a fair amount of work, experimentation and research to get it going. I'm sure it can be done, but only with difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by vrettasvasilis View Post
    assuming that the phone is unlocked…
    Again, the installation instructions are for the supported hardware.

I am guessing that the developers would appreciate input for other hardware. Also, you need help in how to boot the phone and get drivers for it.

Therefore, I suggest that you Google like crazy to find ways to root the phone; and, having done that, find out where the developers hang out and ask them for help.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Hi guys.
    This works flawlessly on my Gnexus considering that this is still a developers preview.
    If you installed it and wonder how to change time or timezone I wrote an article on XDA if you want to read.

Click XDA or this LINK

Beans

Looking forward to installing this on my Desire HD, any ideas if it would work properly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    Looking forward to installing this on my Desire HD, any ideas if it would work properly?
    See post 374.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    OK so I will see if I will take my changes or not. If not, I will wait for confirmation that my Desire HD is indeed supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    OK so I will see if I will take my changes or not. If not, I will wait for confirmation that my Desire HD is indeed supported.
    I ought to add that this is at your own risk. There is a chance that you will damage your phone, unless the manufacturer supports this sort of thing (which I doubt).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unhappy Re: Ubuntu phone OS

Paddy of course, makes the perfect point.
    unless the manufacturer supports this sort of thing (which I doubt).
    And this IS a big deal. .........on January 26, 2013, the Librarian of Congress’s ruling went into effect which made it illegal to unlock new smartphones..... for starters.
    see: Khanna.
    This is the beginning of another serious attack on Linux, and UBUNTU has a presence ẃay above the crowd.
    With the new BB Z10 using QNX , a Linux derivative, it looked like times were changing.
    So, unlocking and, or changing your cel phone may land you in trouble.
    Notnice law.

agg
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Do you think they will allow endusers to access and download and install? Seems the approach is similar to Microsoft's and Windows by targeting phone manufactures and carriers.

Just found this:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install
    I'm excited to try this on my Galaxy s2. Will be doing a lot of reading next few weeks.

I think there will be much more interest by the public in Ubuntu for/on/over Android/smartphones that who they are targeting. Plus, its already murky, as the average person is lost as to whats trying to be accomplished here & to whom.

When I think "Ubuntu" I expect easy & user friendly public access to place Linux on what ever pc or device its created for. Without the whole running after manufactures and carries like Microsoft. We're human, give us Ubuntu for smartphones just as how its done for pc's.
    Last edited by hydn79; February 26th, 2013 at 07:36 PM.

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast