Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu phone OS

Beans

Re: Ubuntu phone OS

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Hope some OEMs actually pick this up. Doubt they will, but one can hope. Would love to have a full Linux OS on a phone, either this or Sailfish OS.
    Indeed this or sailfish os as long as it isn't a resource hog (or they release powerful yet affordable phones) like any version of android from ICS up is on my phone it runs perfectly on my quad core nexus 7 but not my 1 core phone.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I am a cynic by nature...

but it looks really cool. I hope it gains some traction. Doesn't have to be android or ios, but it could carve out a niche.

now time to move to KDE.

Beans

Notice to the picture:

Is it Gimp icon at the top-right corner? Is gimp running on ubuntu phone os?

Beans
    Hidden!

Go big or go home... If the phone works as invisioned I think it is pretty awesome (now if someone can leak a ROM that works on my phone I would be happy)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    3rdalbum, your impression is not wrong, but your facts are, a little. = ) There's a general release of the rom in February,
    So there may be a market for second-hand phones if this can be installed on them! That could bring the entry price down some.

I also want to be able to do turn-by-turn navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    There were no Apps for IOS when it was first announced, same for Android so to say it will be empty when launched is misleading.
    There is quite some time between now and "release" (not just the software) to get some apps in there. Plus they are betting on HTML5 apps which is the same thing Mozilla OS is counting on and existing phones can take advantage of.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Plus they are betting on HTML5 apps which is the same thing Mozilla OS is counting on and existing phones can take advantage of.
    From looking at the OS, it seemed that they were putting their eggs mainly in the HTML5 basket. The one thing I'm disappointed about is that it won't run Android applications.

I do, however, want this OS on my phone and I want it now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by josdaw View Post
    I do, however, want this OS on my phone and I want it now.
    Me too mate, although I'm yet to buy a smartphone. Once this OS comes out I'll surely be taking care of that.

This was the most exciting announcement in the computer world for a number of years. When I bought my first laptop I knew I'd never buy a desktop computer again. I think I'll never buy a laptop again...

Beans

now this could be interesting my current contract mobile contract has a year left to run so will be phone hunting when this is launched, the big thing will be the apps mainly things like a google current style app, decent twitter/ facebook and the bbc iplayer apps and obviously angry birds

Beans

Contact canonical and ask them your Ambiguities, then share with us: gomobile@ubuntu.com

The newest article: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...class-android/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was worried that it would not appeal to end users. My wife is as end user as a person can be and this was her response when she saw the video. "What phone is that?! I want it, that is perfect." She is a kind of person if she likes something she tweets it g+ and tells all her friends in all her groups and sewing circles. This is already having good response in my area.

All afternoon yesterday I had 50+ people texting and calling asking how I can get them the Ubuntu phone. This is going to be amazing.
    Motherboard: MSI 890GXM-G65
    Videocard: Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Ram: 2x 4GB DDR3-1333 Single
    Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T Tray

Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast