Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu phone OS

Beans

Re: Ubuntu phone OS

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    I remember Ubuntu TV being displayed at CES 2012 and look where that went? NOWHERE. Now they are showing a Mobile Phone with Ubuntu at CES 2013, where will it go? Hopefully further then Ubuntu TV. They need OEM and Electronic manufactures to make this work, otherwise it's a pipe dream like Ubuntu TV.
    To be fair, shipping Ubuntu TVs requires an OEM; shipping an OS for a phone doesn't. Obviously OEM support would help, but if nothing else the project/company has demonstrated that they can ship an OS.

If nothing else, it'd be nice to be able to turn old phone hardware into a portable ubuntu-powered device.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    To be fair, shipping Ubuntu TVs requires an OEM; shipping an OS for a phone doesn't. Obviously OEM support would help, but if nothing else the project/company has demonstrated that they can ship an OS.

If nothing else, it'd be nice to be able to turn old phone hardware into a portable ubuntu-powered device.
    Getting anywhere with a phone OS requires an OEM. Your average person doesnt want to mess around with installing a new OS on their phone. With out a lot of customers the Ubuntu shop wont grow and the whole project will go nowhere.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Getting anywhere with a phone OS requires an OEM. Your average person doesnt want to mess around with installing a new OS on their phone. With out a lot of customers the Ubuntu shop wont grow and the whole project will go nowhere.
    Well no doubt. But they can still ship an OS, and it will be useful for us non-average persons.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The new Ubuntu Phone OS looks awesome in the YouTube video. I'd love to check this out after it becomes available. From what I've seen so far it looks impressive.
     MacBook Pro - 2.90 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB HD
     iPad (64 GB, white, Wi-Fi [3rd generation])
     iPhone 4S (64 GB, white)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This kind of puts me in a tough place. What am I supposed to do with all the android apps purchased?
    Phenom X4 Quad Core 9950 Black Editon, Geforce 8800GT

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

First wait until you can actually get one. My guess is that it will be a while.

Beans

I wonder if Ubuntu for smart phones is them making a move out of worry from all the reports about how PC's will soon become something only used by a niche market, so they're trying to step into the smartphone market and setup a precense before that becomes the case.

I personally see that becoming the case as I've had multiple people talk to me about how they never touch their PC anymore because their tablet/phone does it all.

If it has true multitasking I'll be won over and I think its good their announcing it now as when they do release their own smartphone they'll hopefully have a lot of apps ready for them in their market.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As long as it has a mapping and GPS program (Google Maps via Android compatibility would be fine), and tethering, and is available unlocked and crapware-free, I'm in.

I do still think it will never become a reality. There are no OEMs yet, no interactive prototype and only some promises about what it will do.

Show us something a journalist can actually interact with. Until then, it's the usual Ubuntu vapourware. Sorry.

BTW, for those posting to the thread: It is not yet available, and it will be a preinstalled OS not one you can install on existing phones. Canonical may use a Nexus as a development phone and you may be able to install it on there, but it is not intended for end-users to install on their own phones.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

3rdalbum, your impression is not wrong, but your facts are, a little. = ) There's a general release of the rom in February, and they've sent the current image to The Verge, who've made a video.

I generally feel the same way - as long as it has tethering, it'll probably do for me, but I really don't anticipate there being enough support to not end up as vaporware. I don't really understand the goal just yet. I do think it's good that Ubuntu is looking to supporting Android-type hardware, but it's not really offering anything that Android isn't on a phone, and it doesn't have the app base. Ubuntu tablets (10" ones) would make much more sense at this stage.

Edit: And that notification area interaction looks damned fiddly.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; January 3rd, 2013 at 03:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I need to upgrade from an LG optimus T so if there any reasonable priced and with reasonable phone companies and plans, ill get this phone to support Ubuntu.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast