Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu phone OS

Beans

Re: Ubuntu phone OS

Quote Originally Posted by fontis View Post
    First of all, mate, I really enjoyed reading your reply. Because you took the time to understand me, and then your reply was based on what I said yet you argued your cause flawlessly.

Now back to the point, I agree with you regarding the fact that it would offer something not already being offered (the Docking2Desktop mode), however that alone is not something I think is too central on what you can build the rest of it around. The level of optimization needed to not have that experience be laggy as hell is just not there. Why? Because the actual Ubuntu releases are far from optimized, and that's on fully supported hardware in the modern age. I don't see how putting that into a somewhat closed environment in terms of level of optimization vis a vis hardware/software balance will produce anything worthwile?

The perfect analogy would be perhaps... you could use a lawnmower to drive from the east coast to the west coast... but it's not going to be any good or fast as a mode of transportation now is it (My point being, just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing to do.)

I really do stand by my previous point in which I think they should not let their reach exceed their grasp.
    I mean, to put it in another way, I'd rather be the best at one thing, than mediocre/crap/lackluster at a bunch of things.
    And honestly? Ubuntu isn't the best at anything right now...
    That's why I think with the limited resources they have, they should have their goals set on smaller things which they work to perfect. Once done, you can always decide to reach out elsewhere. Otherwise you're just scattering money and time around without getting anywhere.
    I completely disagree, if company is not going forward it is dying.Your position is FUD.

I believe this move by Canonical is exciting and has the opportunity to break the anti competitive Apple/Google duopoly and lift the profile and acceptance of Ubuntu and Linux as a commercially viable product.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And honestly? Ubuntu isn't the best at anything right now...
    It's doing pretty well at getting talked about right now....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    It's doing pretty well at getting talked about right now....
    So is the warp-drive, but I don't see it working...
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans

then don't use the ubuntu products, they are not compulsory, but don't spread FUD about them on these Forums.

We will not let this turn into a repeat of the endless moaning that we experienced with Unity, the buttons change etc etc etc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lol that is pretty funny, but it all depends to how much the community helps out. Yes we aren't getting paid for it, but for me I feel great knowing that I helped made it happen. But that is the mentality I developed in the military.

@KiwiNZ Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree that no one is forcing anyone to use unity. I love unity, some don't. That what I love about Linux , you don't like the UI change it. I find the major problem is that we focus to much on how like and dislike instead of enjoying the world wants more Linux regardless of UI or distro. We as a community are making head way.
    Motherboard: MSI 890GXM-G65
    Videocard: Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Ram: 2x 4GB DDR3-1333 Single
    Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T Tray

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That is a poor analogy, amusing though I suppose. The fact is people are talking about Ubuntu, even in places they haven't before. Certainly in the UK, for example the Telegraph newspaper.

The difference is they are talking about it seriously. This was unthinkable 5 years ago. Ubuntu is doing something well and that is getting linux and foss talked about.

Whether or not I or anyone thinks Ubuntu is doing anything else or everything else well is for a different thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux has made it very well in the mobile market, but not as "Linux", rather as "Android".

So long as it works, feels good and offers what people want and more then the average person would be willing to use ANYTHING ("dog poop-powered cell phone? does it come with cool ring tones?")

This has the opportunity to broaden Ubuntu's recognition to outside the niche of being a "cool, for a LINUX computer" to something people can use without having to know what Ubuntu really is.

They just want a phone that does what they want and whether it is "free" as in freedom, or open or proprietary or made by pygmies, most people honestly don't care.

So this may reach a mass of people (eventually), and then comes the conversation "You know, the people who put out the Ubuntu phone has a complete operating system and applications you can use..." and the influence spreads.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Omegus View Post
    Lol that is pretty funny, but it all depends to how much the community helps out. Yes we aren't getting paid for it, but for me I feel great knowing that I helped made it happen. But that is the mentality I developed in the military.

@KiwiNZ Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree that no one is forcing anyone to use unity. I love unity, some don't. That what I love about Linux , you don't like the UI change it. I find the major problem is that we focus to much on how like and dislike instead of enjoying the world wants more Linux regardless of UI or distro. We as a community are making head way.
    We are not going to allow the naysayers to hi-jack or dominate threads as they have with Unity, Button change or just about every change Ubuntu/Canonical/Forums make. It got to the ridiculous point with Unity where just about every thread concerning Unity was taken over, that is not fair for all other Forum users that a smal minority do this so we will moderate these Forums accordingly..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu isn't the best at anything right now...
    On the contrary there are approximately 20 million Desktop PC's that run Ubuntu today according to Mark's recent virtual keynote speech. If you don't think Ubuntu on the Mobile platform will work, sure you're entitled to your opinion but I don't think bashing it on the Ubuntu Forums is going to help you or Ubuntu in any way so you may as well take your negativities elsewhere as I don't think they are welcome.

Beans

I like the OS functionally, but hardware is EVERYTHING in the mobilescape, and I really don't see anyone wanting to toss their hat into this one if the Game of Patents continues into the new year. Ubuntu has dealt with this stuff before, but never with a hardware company playing proxy war.

That being said, if it can roll at the speed it does on the GNex, I'd use it. I have no idea how the ecosystem would balance ARM and x86 apps, especially if they want as seamless a transition as possible, but I trust they can get something figured out through cloud sync, and/or super docks. (ARM device docked in an x86 form factor ?)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clue

Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast