Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux TerminalOS CLI Desktop Environment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux TerminalOS CLI Desktop Environment

Hi,

OK. I've mentioned a few times on this forum that I've been working on a CLI desktop environment called GraViTTY. It's a simple enough idea - it's an environment which runs on top of X but provides a command line user interface, allowing users to take advantage of the power and flexibility of the CLI without having to compromise on the advantages the GUI provides, such as video and graphics capabilities.

Well, it's now known as Linux TerminalOS and I've gotten it to the stage where I'm looking to beta test it. I've attached some images below. Let me know what you guys think, and if you're interesting in testing then let me know!

Cosmic

Last edited by CosmicFlux; June 6th, 2013 at 06:34 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux TerminalOS CLI Desktop Environment

Not an Ubuntu support request; moved to Ubuntu, Linux, & OS Chat.

Beans

Well something like this does help for terminal sessions in case your normal session goes kaput.
    But commandline is best left in the past and only used sparingly.
    Still interesting idea, I may not approve of it or will use it as a primary but it seems like a good thing to have when your session doesnt load.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

what about windows? there are a couple of CLI windowed interfaces so you can have for exampel CLI browser, CLi an some monitoring software up all at once.

CLI is still usefull as a fast way to access remote maschines. it also saves CPU/GPU power on servers that can be better used elsewhere. what abotu home user? well a good showcase are various Raspeberry Pi projects.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    ...commandline is best left in the past and only used sparingly...
    Obviously I totally disagree. I think the CLI represents the 'Golden Age' of computing, where users had an innate understanding of the machines they were using. Yes, the widespread use of the GUI has made computers accessible to the masses, which is fine, but Linux is all about freedom & not everyone wants or needs to be treated like a child, using a Fisher Price-style operating system in which the focus is on ease-of-use rather than power and flexibility. It's really all about choice. As a power user, I prefer the CLI interface to the graphical one. I don't like using a mouse. Keyboard shortcuts are much faster than point-and-click menus.

What do other people think?

My personal opinion is that GUI's these days are bloated and unnecessary. The emphasis has turned towards style over function. I would rather utilize my computers power on performing tasks rather than wasting it on aesthetics.

I created Linux TerminalOS for use on my own system, customizing it to work for me. You can use both graphical and CLI applications within the environment, as the script runs over X. Windows open with minimal decoration, as straight up frames. If anyone is interested in adapting the idea to their own and making any changes they want then that is great. I'll upload the archive and you can run the script.

Thanks,

Cosmic
    Last edited by CosmicFlux; June 7th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Beans

I personally think both are important. GUI-only interfaces are, in my opinion, overly dumbed-down and it makes it difficult or at least cumbersome to accomplish some tasks. The command line is much more flexible, and is one of the main reasons I prefer Linux over Windows, but at the same time I wouldn't want to have only a command line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

...which is what makes this environment so nice. You no longer have to make the choice between one or the other. Both are working together, simultaneously. Admittedly, there are things that are a little awkard using CLI only, like having to use gconf or gsettings command strings to change key settings, but then if it's an action you perform regularly you could create an alias and then you have a single command to perform the same task it would take a series of dialogs and menus to do.

Want to access Gnome system options? Just type gnome-con{tab} and up pops the GUI dialog.
    Last edited by CosmicFlux; June 7th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Sorry, give me the GUI! (And I was a big fan of MS-DOS 5.0.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What's the advantage over just using a terminal emulator within a regular graphical environment?
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'd say that this is sexier, but it's actually not. I'm pretty sure that the sexiest Linux in existence is probably something using scrotwm or ratpoison, which is a graphical environment that looks CLI-simple and is mostly used to run terminal emulators.

I mean, who wants to be limited to just one terminal emulator on the screen at a time? That's the real question.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast