Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to boot into chroot

Beans

How to boot into chroot

I have 64 bit Natty, I need to run 32 bit version of it because of dial-up modem not running due to proprietary driver licence.
    I set up a 32 chroot in my system. I want to boot into it at grub menu. Because since chroot use system's kernel modules I can not install 32 bit driver in chroot.
    My question is how can I boot into chroot at system startup?
    I know it's possible but there is not much documentation. Here is a guy that managed it, but he didn't explain it step by step. http://superuser.com/questions/45002...root-directory
    Please help.
    Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Re: How to boot into chroot

First of all thank you very much for the post, it's hard to get answer here. Unfortunately it's not what I asked for. I want to create a menuentry at grub2 and choose it at boot screen to boot into chroot I created. Similar to that
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootToRAM.
    Thank you

Beans

You can set a dual-boot system with both 32-bit and 64-bit architecture and select between them at boot (from the Grub menu). This is called "dual-boot", search around there are plenty of tutorials on how to set it up.

Chroot is different thing altogether. Chroot will let you use the same kernel with two different installations at the same time. While the two installations can be of different architecture (i.e. one can be 64-bit and the other 32-bit) and you can use chroot to run 32-bit software under 64-bit system, ultimately it will not help with drivers. Drivers are specific to the kernel and chroot used only one kernel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    You can set a dual-boot system with both 32-bit and 64-bit architecture and select between them at boot (from the Grub menu). This is called "dual-boot", search around there are plenty of tutorials on how to set it up.

Chroot is different thing altogether. Chroot will let you use the same kernel with two different installations at the same time. While the two installations can be of different architecture (i.e. one can be 64-bit and the other 32-bit) and you can use chroot to run 32-bit software under 64-bit system, ultimately it will not help with drivers. Drivers are specific to the kernel and chroot used only one kernel.
    3Miro, thanks, your explanation is satisfactory. I don't know if you read the stuff in the link at my first post, I still wonder if chroot can be turned into an installation by replacing 32 bit kernel modules into /var/chroot/boot and adding grub menuentry to pick up at boot screen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

you still need to understand what chroot is, and redefine your way; your request is a non sense.

Beans

better yet this link http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...tion-read-only
    answer is below the page

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by predato View Post
    better yet this link http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...tion-read-only
    answer is below the page
    I see what they are doing in the link, but I don't understand why and how it relates to your problem. They are simply saving themselves couple of commands at boot time.

With or without chroot you can only run one kernel at a time. That kernel is either 32-bit or 64-bit. The kernel can only use its own 32-bit or 64-bit drivers, you cannot even mix and match kernel modules that have been compiled for two different 64-bit kernels (or 32-bit for that matter). For example, you cannot take drivers compiled for Fedora and use them under Ubuntu, even if both have been compiled for the same version and architecture.

You cannot use the driver from your 32-bit Natty installation and run it on any other kernel or newer installation.

Beans

I know, I must install 32bit into another partition. Apart from that; now that I set up a 32bit chroot, can I use it as 32 bit installation? I lack of disk space. I read that it's possible to install two linux distros into the same partition. Thank you again for responding

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The only way that I have seen or heard for having 2 distros in one partition is to have one of them a Virtual Machine, which, NO, can't be booted to from GRUB, but has to have the host machine installed first.

It works like WUBI/Mint4Win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast