Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best method to remote desktop to Ubuntu 12.10 from Win 7?

Beans

Question Best method to remote desktop to Ubuntu 12.10 from Win 7?

Hello,

I have just installed Ubuntu 12.10 and need to remote desktop to it from my Windows 7 PC, how can I do this? Is Xrdp any good?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Best method to remote desktop to Ubuntu 12.10 from Win 7?

TeamViewer Work's Great...

http://www.teamviewer.com/

Beans

Hi, I meant to say locally on the LAN not over the Internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Best method to remote desktop to Ubuntu 12.10 from Win 7?

You can work on the console(terminal) remotely using the puTTy tool from Win7 and logging in through ssh.

Beans

I'm already using SSH, but the Ubuntu laptop is in a secure DMZ and I'd like to use the internet via it too, hence the remote desktop. Is it something that is is difficult to get working then?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by g0nz0uk View Post
    Hello,

I have just installed Ubuntu 12.10 and need to remote desktop to it from my Windows 7 PC, how can I do this? Is Xrdp any good?

Thanks
    The best way is with NX. On Linux, run FreeNX and on Windows run the NoMachine NX client. The NX protocol is 2x or 3x more efficient than either RDP or VNC AND it includes ssh, so you can use it to remote back from anywhere in the world safely.

BTW, I run my main desktop this way. I've used it from 6,000 miles away or from inside the same room. It works fairly well. I'm actually connected to my Linux desktop from a Win7 laptop right now writing this post.

You'll need to find an NX setup page and follow it - it is not the bonehead install due to the added pre-shared ssh keys for security. There are a few manual steps. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to setup - 5 if you know what you are doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Any disadvantage of running the NomachineNX server?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Fahim Abdun-Nur View Post
    Any disadvantage of running the NomachineNX server?
    It isn't F/LOSS. The codebase is closed. I think there is a limited number of concurrent connections, so if you need more, open your wallet. But I must admit I've never tried it either. I always choose F/LOSS over other options, and with F/LOSS I choose MIT/Apache/BSD followed by LGPL over GPL. Call it personal preference. I suppose it shows my business-friendly leanings.

I would prefer the F/LOSS client as well, but when I was looking for a good client, qtnx just wasn't working for me on the platform I had then. I've used qtnx in the last month. It worked fine from Linux. On Windows, I never got it working.

I should also point out that I do not run 12.10. I'm strictly an LTS guy. I know this setup works on 12.04 perfectly ... er ... besides the audio and video stuff. Another option is to get spice remote desktop https://wiki.ubuntu.com/spice working, but I haven't been able to make that happen either. THAT will be really impressive, since it provides almost native graphics and audio performance to remote desktops.

Beans

Sorry for the delay guys, I am very new to Ubuntu/Linux but am keen to learn. I've installed many tools using sudo apt-get can I install FreeNX this way?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why not simply use vnc? Remote desktop is built in standard in ubuntu (open the dash and start typing remote...). Enable remote desktop, note the IP of the ubuntu machine, fire up a vnc viewer on your windows-box and get cracking.
    Since you're within the same local network, the lack of security won't be of much concern, and i would guess this is by far the easiest method.
    I'm thinking about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast