Thread: Lenovo Ideapad S12 - Intel Atom N270/NVIDIA ION - will it run Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lenovo Ideapad S12 - Intel Atom N270/NVIDIA ION - will it run Ubuntu 12.04

Hi folks,

I've left it a long time so bugs can be ironed out - please oculd you confirm whether Ubuntu 12.04 will run happily on a Lenovo Ideapad S12, spec as above, with full hardware acceleration etc?

It's running 2Gb of memory..

I'm currently running Ubuntu Netbook remix, version 10.04.4 on it.

The unit was bought preinstalled with Ubuntu 9.10 on it from Linux Emporium - all I have ever done is accept updates from Update Manager - basically I am an "appliance operator" regarding the guts of Linux... so if it broke, I would not kknow how to fix it.

I am worried that the latest version of te OS could leave me high and dry if I accepted it.Please could you advise whether my hardware has been cerified to run happily by Canonical.

Thanks.

Alex
    Last edited by alexcckll; January 2nd, 2013 at 10:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Lenovo Ideapad S12 - Intel Atom N270/NVIDIA ION - will it run Ubuntu 12.04

porbably you will need to go with unity 2D. best way to test it is to put it on USB stick and give it a try. chnaces are if 10.04 worked the 12.04 should work just as well. the questions is if maschine cna handle it as the new Unity interface is much more demanding.

otherwise there are always Xubuntu and Lubuntu with lower system requirements.

there is also KDE netbook plasma (kde for netbooks) that can be installed in Kubuntu.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Lenovo Ideapad S12 - Intel Atom N270/NVIDIA ION - will it run Ubuntu 12.04

I'm waiting on a USB key from Linux Emporium - am I right in thinking I have till the END of April to upgrade from repos?