Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No updating allowed if any sources "untrusted"

Beans

No updating allowed if any sources "untrusted"

I just wanted to update my system (where is the Update Manager in MATE btw? I had to start it from the terminal because I couldn't find it) but because I have included the Steam repository the manager told me there were untrusted sources included, and cancelled ALL updates!

First, if I included Steam then I trust it, but what I'd really like to see is ALL THE OTHER UPDATES APPLIED!
    Fine, you don't trust a source (even if I do), but for crying out loud why on earth stop updates from all the other sources?

Makes absolutely no sense to me.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: No updating allowed if any sources "untrusted"

Install synaptic and use it for upgrading. With that you can choose what to upgrade. The update manager is not very flexible.

P.S. I don't know about steam but there is probably a gpg key that you forgot to import, hence the warning.

Beans

I'm not 100% sure what you mean monkey, but Steam is definitely the problem (it is listed under Details when I get the "untrusted" message).
    I don't know what a gpg key is or whether Steam has one or how to get it, but there was no mention of one where I saw the line to add the Steam repository.

Just a "warning" would be nice, but I don't think that's the right word: it shuts down the entire update. Nothing is allowed to be updated...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Horbo View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what you mean monkey, but Steam is definitely the problem (it is listed under Details when I get the "untrusted" message).
    I don't know what a gpg key is or whether Steam has one or how to get it, but there was no mention of one where I saw the line to add the Steam repository.

Just a "warning" would be nice, but I don't think that's the right word: it shuts down the entire update. Nothing is allowed to be updated...
    Like I said, install the synaptic package manager either from the software centre or the terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Then open synaptic from the dash, click "Reload" on the top panel, then check for the updates (choose upgradable on the side panel)

With synaptic, you can choose what to update and in case of "untrusted repositories" it will still allow you to update after showing you the warning message.

It is more flexible than the update-manager and much faster than the Software Centre. I use it exclusively for installing and updating software.

I don't use steam so I don't know how the authentication works, but usually when you add a third party repository it will provide a gpg key for security and verification.

Beans

I will definitely install synaptic, but I really think someone has made a dumb decision in Update Manager by refusing to allow any updates because of a single "untrusted" source.

Incredibly annoying.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

The error message might be a bit confusing here, it doesn't mean you (or Ubuntu's developers) wouldn't trust a certain software source, it means that you have added a repository but you didn't add the signing key used to verify that the packages you download really come from that source (to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks).

Easy thing to solve, just add the missing signing key for the repository you added.

edit: Here are the terminal commands for adding the GPG key you are missing:
    Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys F24AEA9FB05498B7
    sudo apt-get update
    Last edited by mcduck; December 21st, 2012 at 12:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You can add the gpg key by running these commands
    Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys F24AEA9FB05498B7

sudo apt-get update
    Last edited by oldos2er; December 21st, 2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: fixed key code

Beans

Aaargh!

I've installed Synaptic, and clicked reload in it, but get this message, and of course Synaptic completely stops what it was doing (just skip it and keep going, please!):

W: GPG error: http://packages.mate-desktop.org quantal InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 68980A0EA10B4DE8

I only installed Quantal last night, apart from Steam I haven't messed with any repositories at all, what does this mean?
    Why is a fresh install missing a gpg/key/signature?
    Why couldn't it just ignore the problem and continue with the rest?

This is painful.

EDIT: McDuck and oldos2er, hadn't seen your posts before this one. You have both given different strings at the end of the first line, which do I use? Will that give me all keys I'm missing, or just the Steam key?
    Last edited by Horbo; December 21st, 2012 at 12:34 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Horbo View Post
    Aaargh!

I've installed Synaptic, and clicked reload in it, but get this message, and of course Synaptic completely stops what it was doing (just skip it and keep going, please!):

W: GPG error: http://packages.mate-desktop.org quantal InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 68980A0EA10B4DE8

I only installed Quantal last night, apart from Steam I haven't messed with any repositories at all, what does this mean?
    Why is a fresh install missing a gpg/key/signature?
    Why couldn't it just ignore the problem and continue with the rest?

This is painful.

EDIT: McDuck and oldos2er, hadn't seen your posts before this one. You have both given different strings at the end of the first line, which do I use? Will that give me all keys I'm missing, or just the Steam key?
    Synaptic will continue if you just click yes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

The key given by myself and mcduck is for the Steam repo. The error you posted shows you need the Mate key too
    Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 68980A0EA10B4DE8

sudo apt-get update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast