Thread: Error "Could not inialize the package information."

Beans

Error "Could not inialize the package information."

Hello All,
    I am new to Ubuntu, and I received this following error that I am not sure what is causing it.:
    'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-security_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike W.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Error "Could not inialize the package information."

Quote Originally Posted by mhwittek View Post
    Hello All,
    I am new to Ubuntu, and I received this following error that I am not sure what is causing it.:
    'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, Eroblem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-security_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike W.
    Welcome to the forum!

open A Terminal [CTRL+ALT+T]

and run
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
    and then run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    The first command deletes all the index files in the /var/lib/apt/lists/ directory and the second command reloads the index files from the net.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

Hello Plucky,
    Thanks for the information. The information did fixed most of issue. I can run Software Update again. But during the "sudo apt-get update" command it stated that there were two issues that were not corrected. Now I get this new error window that is titled "Failed to download software repository information", and the body of the error reads as follows: Check your Internet Connection.

in window: W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 11.10 _Oneiric Ocelot_ - Release i386 (20111012)/dists/oneiric/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 11.10 _Oneiric Ocelot_ - Release i386 (20111012)/dists/oneiric/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

My Internet connection is working just fine. I would guess I would not be able to post this otherwise.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Mike Wittek

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 11.10 _Oneiric Ocelot_ - Release i386 (20111012)/dists/oneiric/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

That error means that for some reason, the Installation CDrom has been ticked as a source in your Software Sources list.

Open the Settings button in the Update Manager and un-tick the CDrom as a source.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Hidden!