Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dual boot windows 8/ Ubuntu boot problem

Beans

dual boot windows 8/ Ubuntu boot problem

Hello,
    I have a problem after installing Ubuntu in dual boot with windows 8. I am not able to start neither Ubuntu nor Windows. I would be very grateful if you could help me.
    Here is what I did:

I have a new fujitsu A532 with windows 8 pro installed.

I wanted to add ubuntu in dual boot.
    In the Bios I disabled FastBoot.
    SecureBoot is enabled (it can't be disabled it in the Bios; or at least I don't know how)
    I first tried the install of Ubuntu with DVD but it didn't boot on the DVD even with DVD set in first boot order.
    I then tried the Live USB (with unetbootin-windows), Ubuntu-Secure 12.10 64 bits: the installation process started but then interrupted while choosing the keyboard.
    I then decided to install Ubuntu 12.10 (it detected the presence of Ubuntu-Secure and I decided to delete Ubuntu-secure and do a new installation of ubuntu). The installation was successfull.
    But then when rebooting it gives me following message:
    "
    Secure Boot
    Image failed to verify with *ACCESS DENIED*
    Press any key to continue
    [Continue]

and

Warning
    Bootable Device was not found
    {Continue]
    "
    and I am not able to launch neither Ubuntu nor Windows (I tried Ubuntu and windows as first boot order)

I then used boot repair with "recommended repair", but the problem remains.
    Here is the Boot info summary:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1485617/

I would be very grateful if you could help me. Thank you very much in advance.
    Mireille Dondlinger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: dual boot windows 8/ Ubuntu boot problem

I am not sure about the Access Denied message, that is a secure boot message. 12.10 is supposed to be compatible with secure boot so that shouldn't be a problem, but it seems it is.

What I am worried about is that the fdisk partition list shows only the ubuntu partitions on the disk. It seems you installed ubuntu over windows, not next to it.

You said you deleted the Ubuntu Secure partitions, is it possible you deleted the windows partitions too?

Did you have any important data in windows?
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Darkod is correct, it appears you wiped the windows 8 OS partition. Hopefully you have made recovery media or have made an image of your partitions.

When you try installing Ubuntu again make sure you boot the CD/DVD from UEFI mode since Windows 8 is in all probability installed in UEFI.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by presence1960 View Post
    Darkod is correct, it appears you wiped the windows 8 OS partition. Hopefully you have made recovery media or have made an image of your partitions.

When you try installing Ubuntu again make sure you boot the CD/DVD from UEFI mode since Windows 8 is in all probability installed in UEFI.
    There is uefi grub on the uefi system partition. I am trying to stay clear from uefi as long as possible so I haven't used it yet, but having it present on the uefi system partition should be evidence enough that ubuntu is installed correctly in uefi mode, right? Or not?

Looks like the installation was made correctly in uefi mode, but over windows instead next to it.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Thank you for your quick answers.
    I am quite sure that when installing ubuntu secure I installed it in a newly created partition.
    Then when installing Ubuntu I installed it over ubuntu secure.
    Is there a way to check if windows is still there ?
    I have no important data on it. Just a new installation of windows 8.

Presence1960, you say "When you try installing Ubuntu again make sure you boot the CD/DVD from UEFI". How to do this ? I don't know in which mode I booted it.

Thank you for your help.
    Mireille

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    There is uefi grub on the uefi system partition. I am trying to stay clear from uefi as long as possible so I haven't used it yet, but having it present on the uefi system partition should be evidence enough that ubuntu is installed correctly in uefi mode, right? Or not?

Looks like the installation was made correctly in uefi mode, but over windows instead next to it.
    Didn't catch the second line that has grub on it.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro

The fdisk output is pretty clear, but you can double check. Boot the ubuntu cd in live mode (Try Ubuntu), and open Gparted.

Look at the existing partitions. Are there any NTFS partitions on the disk? You can post a screenshot of Gparted if you want, or if you have any questions.

Booting in uefi mode is considered when you boot the cd/usb in uefi mode. On systems that support uefi, the dvd drive will exist as two different bootable devices. Uefi dvd drive, and just dvd drive. It's usually best to use the boot menu of the computer (most new computers will show a boot menu if you hit F12 or another key immediately while booting up), if it has one, and you can select what you want to boot directly. Alternatively set it in bios. In that case, the uefi dvd needs to be before the legacy dvd.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Here is in attachement the screenshoot of gparted. What is strange is that before installing Ubuntu, I had
    a drive C of 75G with windows
    a drive D of about 300G
    and a partition that I created for Ubuntu of 50G.
    Looks as if one big partition was created after installing Ubuntu.
    No idea how this happened.
    But in fact, it seems that I have to reinstall windows.
    Should I create a new partition before installing windows ?
    And which version of Ubuntu install afterwards ? Secure or not, 12.04 or 12.10 ?

In boot menu I have
    Ubuntu
    Windows Boot Manager
    CD/DVD Drive: Optiacc DVD RW AD/7760H
    DriveO HDD: Toschiba
    Network: LAN IPv4
    USB CD|DVD
    USB HDD
    Floppy Disk Drive

no Uefi dvd drive.

Thank you for your help. I have to stop for today. Will be back tomorrow.
    Mireille
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Hello,
    In fact, I wiped the windows partition (grrr....)
    I did now I complete new install of windows 8. I then shrinked the windows partition, added a new NTFS partition for my docs and left about 60G space unallocated.
    I created a ubuntu secure remix 12.10 live USB.
    When beginning the installation process of Ubuntu, I get the following message:The installer has detected that the following disks have mounted partitions:
    /dev/sda
    Do you want the installer to try to unmount the partitions on these disks before continuing? If you leave them mounted, you will not be able to create, delete, or resize partitions on these disks, but you may be able to install to existing partitions there.

I don't know if I have to reply Yes or No.
    What I want is to preserve my windows partition and my docs partition and use the unallocated space to install ubuntu (in dual boot with windows) (SecureBoot is enabled and I can not disable it)

Thank you very much if you can answer me.
    Mireille

Beans
    Distro

Well, that message says some partitions from the disk are mounted. If you did mount any of the partitions in live mode before starting the install process, don't do that. The disk should not have any of the partitions mounted.

Start the install again with the ubuntu usb and see if you receive the same message.

I don't know how you installed win8, but if you did it in uefi mode you need to start the usb in uefi mode too. I hope you know that and you understand how to do it.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast