Thread: Internal error; how to enable again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Internal error; how to enable again

I regularly got this 'internal error' popup and eventually decided to choose the option to 'suppress further messages of this type'. Now I want to enable this message again. How?The apport functionality in /etc/default/apport is still enables, it's just for this specific error that it needs to be enable again.

Sorry, but I can't remember the exact wording.

As far as I can remember, the above error always refered to hplip/firmware.py (and yes, my printer no longer works).
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Internal error; how to enable again

so your goal is to set your printer up.
    if something is borked, then open synaptic to purge all the related hplip & cups installed packages, then reinstall cups & hplip (and their dependencies).

Then check if you can print (after a logout/in). If not, then you probably have some wrong settings inside either: .gconf, .gnome2, .local or .config (and can be deleted or renamed)
    These folders are inside /home (ctrl+h to unhide them) and are automatically cleanly recreated on the next boot (but with the default settings, as its a reset, so your custom settings will be dropped indeed)

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the final intent is to get my printer going again. But this question was specific how to get the error message back.

Note:
    I will keep your reply in mind for reference; I did a complete removal and installl of hplip already and that did not help.

PS
    It's not likely that it's a problem in my home directory; an other user (own account) has the same problem.
    Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; January 1st, 2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added PS
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro

Time for a kick