Thread: Nvidia Quadro

Beans

Nvidia Quadro

Hi,

Is there any difference in Nvidia drivers for linux between GeForce and Quadro, or are the drivers universal for all Nvidia cards giving average performance and not specializing in one specific card? Which OS gives you best performance with Quadro cards, Windows, Linux or OSX?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Nvidia Quadro

you can search for drivers here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    I think your question is subjective, everyone will say something different as far as performace of the Quadro card in different OS's. Just pick which OS you want to use and see if there is a driver. I checked for a Quadro FX 5800 and there is no linux 64 bit driver. YMMV

Beans

Well the question might be subjective regarding which OS out-performances what. BUT I think it is not subjective question to ask does Nvidia make as good drivers for Quadro cards to linux comparing what it does to Windows. I know that Quadro cards are very well supported in Windows but in Linux I'm not sure. And even if I would see my Quadro card driver for both OS will it be as good for Linux as it is for Windows?

Quadro drivers are optimized for Autodesk and other commercial 3D programs. These programs are not made for Linux. Why then Nvidia would bother make optimized drivers for Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i have no idea, all you can do is check the website and as you have stated the cards are optimized for certain commercial apps which aren't available in linux so it's possible there isn't even drivers for it on linux

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

What are you planning to use it for? Give details and apps.

Beans

I would be using Blender (that is the natural choice for commercial 3D modeling), Gimp, InkScape, MyPaint and Krita. I wish Linux had a program like SolidWorks but it don't.

I have Dell D830 laptop with 1.8 ghz dual core, 2gb RAM (might upgrade this to 4gb) and Quadro NVS 140M.

Beans

There is one driver on Linux, though I wouldn't assume that there are no Quadro-specific optimizations in it.