Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just Curious

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Just Curious

Thanks for all the feedback...i read the article about it and noticed it mentioned improvement for acpi power management and also lower ram usage in certain situations...so i was anxious to check it out...

When i tried a recent daily build with the 3.7 kernel i already noticed some improvements regarding power management, and it sounds like that will be refined even further with 3.8

Perhaps one of you 13.04 testers can make an announcement in this section when you get 3.8 in your updates...that way i will know to download a daily build and check it out

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

by the way you can download and install the latest vanilla kernel:

inside an empty folder, download the 2 headers & the 2 images (32 or 64 depending of your actual ubuntu), then:

sudo dpkg -i *

offgridguy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    I know the article you're talking about.

It's true that it may only be 3% of the system, but its the 3% at the bottom of the pile. Remove it and everything else falls over

Edit - Is this it?
    http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
    This is it, thank you. The whole tenure of the article sounded a little "sour grapes" that the linux name has become synoymous with
    everything the gnu project pioneered.
    I like your explanation about the bottom of the pile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    This is it, thank you. The whole tenure of the article sounded a little "sour grapes" that the linux name has become synoymous with
    everything the gnu project pioneered.
    I like your explanation about the bottom of the pile.
    I read that article myself just the other day. I noticed this:

By the early 90s we had put together the whole system aside from the kernel. We had also started a kernel, the GNU Hurd, which runs on top of Mach. Developing this kernel has been a lot harder than we expected; the GNU Hurd started working reliably in 2001, but it is a long way from being ready for people to use in general.
    and then this:

Fortunately, we didn't have to wait for the Hurd, because of Linux.
    We would still be waiting. And it took more than fortune. A work of hard work by Linux developers.

Regards.

P.S. January 10th is marked as kernel freeze with another kernel freeze for 11th April. So, if the devs are going to bring this in for testing, then they have to do so in the next few weeks.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; January 1st, 2013 at 07:57 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12