Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut back on GMO wheat to get healthier

Beans
    Hidden!

Cut back on GMO wheat to get healthier

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_1...n-doctor-says/

I read his book and he says our diabetes and fat epidemic is mostly caused by starchy grains like wheat. And since it has become a GMO food, the wheat is unnatural, containing harmful chemicals and triggers immune responses in everyone. Affecting some worse than others as were not made to eat this genetically modified plant. His book really goes into a lot of detail and makes for an interesting read.
    Kicking the wheat addiction though is not easy since so many processed foods have wheat cooked into them. Makes a lot of sense to me, and goes against what the marketplace is telling you is a health food. So if your fat and diabetic, etc..., think about it, it might be due to what your innocently been eating.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cut back on GMO wheat to get healthier

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_1...n-doctor-says/

I read his book and he says our diabetes and fat epidemic is mostly caused by starchy grains like wheat. And since it has become a GMO food, the wheat is unnatural, containing harmful chemicals and triggers immune responses in everyone.
    Sounds like a lot of baloney.

To start with, gliadin is not new, it has always been in wheat.
    Secondly, according to the article, gliadin binds to opiate receptors, stimulating appetite.
    (It's not actually gliadin itself, but peptides from digested gliadin, as proteins cannot be absorbed intact, nor pass the blood brain barrier. Also, in the binding assay, they needed 0,5mg of peptides to be equivalent to morphine 1 nM. In terms of concentrations in the brain, that is a lot, not likely to be achieved from nutrition)
    Stimulation of opiate receptors does not lead to an increase in appetite. Most people on opiates have initial nausea, which reduces their appetite. There are opiate receptors in the GI-tract, but they are not involved in appetite, they regulate motility. That is why opiates cause constipation and we use loperamide for diarrhoea.

The problem with what we eat is not GMO. It is not wheat. It is not processed food. It is simple that we eat too much, and too much fat.

And then there is the general "genetic modification is evil" attitude that I find hard to swallow. Mankind has been involved in genetic modification for millenia. Only it is called crossbreeding, selection, etc. Basically a random and unpredictable, empiric process where we have little idea of what will come out, messing with a whole genome. Now you do it in a lab while wearing a white coat (only much more directed, driven by knowledge of what specific gene you are targeting) and all of a sudden it is scary and evil.

(Yes, Monsanto is evil. Using GM to put more poison in crops is bad. I'm just talking about health effects of GM on the food itself)

Beans

I think it has to do with one of the seven deadly sins, gluttony.

That and all the processed/artificial crap people stuff their faces with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I kind of agree with both of you ..

@Statia
    The vegetable that I used to grow in europe compared to the GMO's in the states are waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy better in taste.

also do not forget that GMO companies like "Monsanto" they actually "own" the food. You cannot grow theyr tomatoes without their permissions (without paying). It's very hard to control seeds especcially because the wind and insects moves the around. But if the company find few of your crops having the same genetics characteristics as theirs thenn you'll forced to pay. This is also killing genetic variation. We are doing the evolution not Nature..

check out some movies like Food inc.

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Statia View Post
    ... Using GM to put more poison in crops is bad. ...
    How is that done ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

And since it has become a GMO food, the wheat is unnatural, containing harmful chemicals and triggers immune responses in everyone.
    There have been tons of studies done on GM food, and the overwhelming evidence is that there's no risk. This kind of thing is just scaremongering. See also mobile phones, immunisations, power plyons, fluoridation, etc, etc.

I sometimes wonder if our lives have become so comfortable and safe we now have to invent things to be worried about.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Sounds like Dr. William Davis is just another anti-GMO evangelist who sees things totally in black or white.

From a scientific point of view there is absolutely nothing wrong with GMO and GM crops, and all the fright stories of Franckenstein crops and plants is nothing more than scare tactics, largely from people who do not know enough about the subject the are talking about.

GM of a crop gives breeders and scientists a much quicker way of improving much about the main food crops of the world, and the outcome of it is generally going to be much more to the benefit of the whole population than to its detriment. Changing plant genomes with genetic modification is no different in reality to the normal method of plant improvement using standard breeding techniques.

At the end of the linked article is this section:-
    Some health resources, such as the Mayo Clinic, advocate a more balanced diet that does include wheat. But Davis said on "CTM" they're just offering a poor alternative.
    "All that literature says is to replace something bad, white enriched products with something less bad, whole grains, and there's an apparent health benefit - 'Let's eat a whole bunch of less bad things.' So I take...unfiltered cigarettes and replace with Salem filtered cigarettes, you should smoke the Salems. That's the logic of nutrition, it's a deeply flawed logic. What if I take it to the next level, and we say, 'Let's eliminate all grains,' what happens then?
    "That's when you see, not improvements in health, that's when you see transformations in health."
    That final sentence in red is true, but not I suspect in the positive way Dr Davis means; totally eliminate all grains from the human diet and a large percentage of the population would starve.

Not the health transformation most people would want!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    How is that done ???
    It's done by introducing genes that cause the plant to produce pesticides inside the plants own tissues. So instead of getting poison on the plant, you get it in the plant. Then you eat it.

http://npic.orst.edu/reg/pip.html

Beans
    Hidden!

In essence, his book says the epidemic of obesity and diabetes is modern wheat.
    Cut the modern wheat from the diet equals get healthy.

In his book, he also says that when cultures dont eat wheat, they are not overweight, not diabetic, and dont have acne.

When those cultures start eating wheat, they get fat, get diabetes, and get acne. And many other health problems. He says eating wheat initiates an auto immune response in all people, some very bad, some not so bad. He does say you may not even know your slightly ill all the time from eating wheat .

Ho says that in the 50's, people did not have these same health issues in today's numbers and it has only been the last 30 to 40 years when people started to eat more modern wheat that these epidemics happened.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

In essence, his book says the epidemic of obesity and diabetes is modern wheat.
    OK, in science that's called a hypothesis. What you're supposed to do next is conduct a study to test your hypothesis and publish your findings. Then others critique your work and try to replicate your results. If everybody agrees with your hypothesis then you win, otherwise it's back to the drawing board.

Hypothesis > experiment > review > replication.

Be very wary of listening too much to anyone whose "scientific" method goes:

Hypothesis > book deal > profit!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast