Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut back on GMO wheat to get healthier

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Cut back on GMO wheat to get healthier

I am an ex diabetic and I as well as many others have cut down on wheat to loose weight and loose diabetes so the book is on the dot about GMO wheat. I have also cut down on all refined flours, sugar and white rice, only grains like millet, barley, oats, buckwheat and plenty of veggies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    I am an ex diabetic and I as well as many others have cut down on wheat to loose weight and loose diabetes so the book is on the dot about GMO wheat. I have also cut down on all refined flours, sugar and white rice, only grains like millet, barley, oats, buckwheat and plenty of veggies.
    Controlling your diet is sensible (and essential) if you're already diabetic. No one is suggesting otherwise.

That doesn't mean that you can blame the rise in Type 2 diabetes on one type of food we're eating. As Statia says, the problem is that we're eating too much, and too many different bad things.

PS: an "ex" diabetic?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Controlling your diet is sensible (and essential) if you're already diabetic. No one is suggesting otherwise.

That doesn't mean that you can blame the rise in Type 2 diabetes on one type of food we're eating. As Statia says, the problem is that we're eating too much, and too many different bad things.

PS: an "ex" diabetic?
    the author in the book claims diabetes is curable completely by cutting out modern wheat which then lowers your weight.
    I have read when people loose the excess weight and get fit, (independent info not of this book) they can loose the need for any diabetes medication, so call this a cure why not? For type2 diabetics.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    That final sentence in red is true, but not I suspect in the positive way Dr Davis means; totally eliminate all grains from the human diet and a large percentage of the population would starve.
    I can't live without beer!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    It's done by introducing genes that cause the plant to produce pesticides inside the plants own tissues. So instead of getting poison on the plant, you get it in the plant. Then you eat it.

http://npic.orst.edu/reg/pip.html
    Genes mostly code for proteins and nucleic acids. I haven't come across genes that code for pesticides such as those sprayed on plants to prevent crop damage.

I'm wondering how many people contributing to this thread have a first-hand knowledge of GM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    the author in the book claims diabetes is curable completely by cutting out modern wheat which then lowers your weight.
    Excellent, another hypothesis. When he's published his results and his peers have agreed with him and confirmed his findings, then we should probably start listening to his ideas.

Until then, not so much.

That would be a pretty easy hypothesis to test actually. Let's hope he gets onto it. It would be one of the most important discoveries of recent times.

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I haven't come across genes that code for pesticides such as those sprayed on plants to prevent crop damage.
    Some plants produce their own pesticides don't they? Surely we're not talking about making a plant produce an artificial pesticide? It would be more feasible to have it produce a pesticide normally produced by another species wouldn't it?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post

Some plants produce their own pesticides don't they? Surely we're not talking about making a plant produce an artificial pesticide? It would be more feasible to have it produce a pesticide normally produced by another species wouldn't it?
    I suppose some kind of mashup gene splicing can do that. If a plant starts making a pesticide, natural or man made, then it can be poisonous to eat. the pesticide will be inside the plant tissue, not just sprayed on the leaves.

I read that arsenic is in brown rice. Rice gets the arsenic from the ground. Someone tolde me the arsenic was put there by farmers as a pesticide. It may also be naturally in the ground.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=brow...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thumbs up Re: Cut back on GMO wheat to get healthier

Just do this one thing and a complex cultural phenomenon will disappear completely!

Forgive me if I throw the BS flag on the field.

Maybe if Roman soldiers had eaten less wheat they would have crushed most of the known world. Oh, wait. They ate wheat as the main staple of their diet and did that anyway. My bad.

The whole "GM means poison" thing also bothers me. Anything domesticated and cross bred is GM.

Look at what we call corn in the Americas. Much of the world knows it as maize. It started out as a hard seed head an inch long. Now it is what would, in other cases, be called a genetic monstrosity.

Humans survived because they excelled at stuffing as many calories as they could into their faces during a time when that was what was needed to survive. When they developed a complex society that sheltered them from the storm of mere survival, the need for the caloric intake was diminished at the same time as calories became abundant. They have not, as yet, evolved past the genetic mandate to consume every calorie they can. Furthermore, those calories have become more and more empty as they have learned to better "process" their food by removing the nutritious components and leaving the more tasty and caloric ones.

We, like other mammals, are genetically predisposed to fatten ourselves against more difficult times -- but those don't come any more.
    Last edited by QIII; January 1st, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Food manufacturers do not put the food in ones mouth that is a personally controlled activity.

However if the billions are to be feed whilst agriculturally viable land shrinks the faster growing pest and drought resistant crops need to be developed.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_1...n-doctor-says/

I read his book and he says our diabetes and fat epidemic is mostly caused by starchy grains like wheat. .........
    ALL Simple and Complex Carbs are bad for you as well as products high in starches like Potatoes. The reason behind this is simple. Your body turns those items into sugar for energy and if you don't immediately burns those foods off your body will turn right around and store those as fat. This constant tug of war on the body as it puts stress on major components like the pancreas. Often making the body unable to produce the insulin it needs or even making the body resistant to its own insulin. This is clearly common sense. But the FDA has been shouting this BS food pyramid crap for years and what you end up with is a unhealthy fat body like myself. It also doesnt help matters when you go to the grocery store all the foods high in starches and carbs are the most affordable while the healthier foods come at a much steeper price.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast