Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut back on GMO wheat to get healthier

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Cut back on GMO wheat to get healthier

Call me old fashion, but between Genetically modified organism (GMO) and the way nature intended, I choose the later one. Compare an organic apple with a regular one, meaning with pesticides, wax and GMO. The difference in taste is easy to recognize.
    Last edited by Lemuriano; January 2nd, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    I agree with Bandit. I have been on a high fat low carb diet for half a year. I've lost weight and I'm no longer hungry like I was.
    There is a lot of info out there on just how bad the carb heavy diet is for humans. Simply put, we did not evolve to eat such things.
    Wherever the western diet is introduced, you see the same things happening to humans,obesity,diabetes,etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=h0zD1gj0pXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMQKtvj1htU
    Exactly..

While someone should not eliminate all carb foods from their diet as many are full of vitamins and minerals the body needs. Best bet is to eat lean meats and fiber rich vegetables. Moderate exercise while bothersome it may seem is also essential to human diet. We wasn't given two feet and legs to sit on our butts all day.

Last year alone I lost over 50 pounds, if anyone remembers me taking a break from the forums. Sadly I busted my knees up before I retired and gained back 20.. But going back on a proper diet and exercise soon as I get to the philippines in a month. This summer I will loose down to 160LBs and hit my 10% body fat mark I so desire again..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Ah, this is why I enjoy reading threads about alarmingly false, fear mongering news. Glassing over the posts of people across the whole community who actually know what they're talking about; beating back the falsities with solid facts. > : D

*gets popcorn and hot chocolate*

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I wish you could "like" posts on here.

The only people who need to really worry about wheat are people with Celiac disease or other gluten intolerances. As for the whole evidence from people losing weight, that's pretty ridiculous. Probably the biggest intake of carbs is coming from products made from wheat. If you cut out carbs, you're going to lose weight. But losing weight doesn't always mean getting healthy. I've known a lot of people who went on no carb diets. They lost weight fast, but it was also very unhealthy and debilitating.

I had diverticulitis really bad a couple of years ago. One of these people who are sucked in by the anti-wheat hype tried to tell me it was because I need to cut wheat out. No, it's because I had pockets in my intestines that got infected by food stuck in them. And that was likely caused by fats, not wheat. Guess what I have to do to keep it from happening again? I have to eat foods that are high in fiber, including whole wheat.
    I wish I could like posts too, but who says you can't save your favorite forum posts in a text file? =P That's what I do for GameFAQs and these Ubuntu forums. It's nice having a large collection of witty responses and nuggets of wisdom to refer to in a jiffy.

Anyway, I found your post incredibly informative. More evidence that either the naturally or artificially bred forms of wheat aren't exactly killing us. =P

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Lemuriano View Post
    Call me old fashion, but between Genetically modified organism (GMO) and the way nature intended, I choose the later one. Compare an organic apple with a regular one, meaning with pesticides, wax and GMO. The difference in taste is easy to recognize.
    Taste is an excellent reason to choose one food over another IMO. GM-status isn't.

There's a lot of complete balls talked about food. There's a whole industry of pseudo-scientific BS-merchants with a vested interest in medicalising and complicating food, so that they can make a living dictating to us what we should and shouldn't eat.

What the actual science tells us to eat is simple: don't overeat, eat a bit of everything, cook from fresh, cut down on fat, salt and alcohol, eat lots of fruit and vegetables. But unfortunately such simple advice (while effective) won't keep the army of dubiously-qualified nutritionist hacks in Mercedes Benzes, so they have to concoct over-complicated fad diets and endless scare stories to keep us tagging along.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Exactly..

While someone should not eliminate all carb foods from their diet as many are full of vitamins and minerals the body needs. Best bet is to eat lean meats and fiber rich vegetables. Moderate exercise while bothersome it may seem is also essential to human diet. We wasn't given two feet and legs to sit on our butts all day.

Last year alone I lost over 50 pounds, if anyone remembers me taking a break from the forums. Sadly I busted my knees up before I retired and gained back 20.. But going back on a proper diet and exercise soon as I get to the philippines in a month. This summer I will loose down to 160LBs and hit my 10% body fat mark I so desire again..
    This guy is pretty well respected internationally,

http://www.health24.com/dietnfood/Ge...-742,78341.asp
    http://www.health24.com/fitness/Diet...-512,73175.asp
    http://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/lifes...0#.UOPs9-nCQXA
    http://www.runnersworld.co.za/nutrit...dietary-ideas/
    http://www.mh.co.za/nutrition/health...im-noakes-diet
    http://mg.co.za/article/2012-09-21-0...ma-of-medicine
    http://www.jaquelineduncan.co.za/201...o-prof-noakes/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I don't know why wheat has become some sort of similar villain of late; moderation in all things, but compared to how much bread our forefathers ate, the average modern person eats barely any.

Personally, I'll polish off a 1kg loaf over 2-3 days. I don't eat rick foods or sauces, I don't eat meat (I don't think it's bad for one, in moderation), and I eat a lot of vegetables/pulses.

People need to use common sense, and stop looking for quick and easy solutions for everything. Many westerners live very sedate lives - it's surprising how little you need to eat when you sit on your *** all day.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    I don't eat rick foods or sauces
    Well each to their own. But personally, I'm never gonna give them up, never gonna put them down, never gonna run around and dessert them.

http://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

Beans

eat what you like.

"healthy eaters" still get cancer, hit by cars, heart attacks.

"unhealthy people" still live to 90, run marathons, smoke 40 a day.

If you eat more than you burn you will put on weight/fat.

You are here for a good time not a long time, enjoy it.

If you pay attention everyday to what we should and shouldnt eat and do then everyday you will have to change your habits and redo your shopping.

My Grandad ate crap his all life, drank whisky everyday, smoked 40+ a day from 14 years old and spent most of his youth bare backed in the desert exposed to the sun, he died in his late 90's from old age

Peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    eat what you like.

"healthy eaters" still get cancer, hit by cars, heart attacks.

"unhealthy people" still live to 90, run marathons, smoke 40 a day.

If you eat more than you burn you will put on weight/fat.

You are here for a good time not a long time, enjoy it.

If you pay attention everyday to what we should and shouldnt eat and do then everyday you will have to change your habits and redo your shopping.

My Grandad ate crap his all life, drank whisky everyday, smoked 40+ a day from 14 years old and spent most of his youth bare backed in the desert exposed to the sun, he died in his late 90's from old age

There are always exceptions, and while I agree that people should generally eat what they like, that only goes so far. I'm sure at least 50% of smokers die from a smoking-related ailment, and I'm pretty sure nothing good comes from weighing three times more than the ideal.

There's living life, and there's flagrant disregard for it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I haven't wasted a lot of time reading every last detail of those linked articles, but it seems clear that not even one of them is a properly refereed scientific study. They are all more like magazine articles

I shall carry on exactly as I have always done, eating a healthy mixed diet including something from all of the main food-groups. Humans evolved as omnivores, not as a species which should avoid one of the main food groups, and in pre-history I suspect there were more grains and plants eaten than meat, which had a habit of running away when you tried to catch and kill it.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast