Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Cut back on GMO wheat to get healthier

Beans

Re: Cut back on GMO wheat to get healthier

Quote Originally Posted by DeusExM1 View Post
    Interesting to know if this guy is right or not. A lot of people are discrediting him just because it goes against what they wish to believe.

This man is a physician. That means he went to 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, did 3 years of general residency (prolly working 70-80 hrs per week), and then did 3 years of cardio residency. He knows the human body inside and out, dissected real cadavers etc... This isnt joe schmo trying to get popularity and some fast money. Also please look up cardiologist salary (hint its north of 300,000 per year). I doubt this man is just trying to money grab.

I wouldn't dismiss him so quickly. Although i do agree that results should be verified.

I am originally from europe and one thing that i noticed is that when you eat food in europe you stay hunger free for a very long time. In america, after you eat, you are perpetually hungry. As a result, people here are insane about food, always talk about food, and always think about food. In europe its not like that.

I recently went back for a vacation and noticed the exact same effect. Eating a normal meal kept me hunger free for more than half the day. Coming back to USA, and I was constantly snacking and eating things because I was always hungry.

My family has long suspected that they put some kind of a poison into food here to make everyone hungry. I have been thinking about this for years. It is possible that its simply part of our diets due to being incorporated into GMOs.

I have no bias or agenda against GMOs or anything of that kind. But there is a sharp increase of diabetes and other conditions in the united states. Sure, some of it can be attributed to bad habbits and lazy lifestyle...

But that hunger. Hunger that wont go away... i experience it here every day and it is definitely not normal.

If you ever have a chance to go to a less developed country (try eastern europe)... eat their food for a few weeks. You will see what i mean.
    "Poison in the food to keep you Hungary" , ummmm no.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

This man is a physician.

<snip>

I wouldn't dismiss him so quickly.
    The argument from authority isn't a good basis for determining the validity of science. Having letters after your name and a white coat doesn't make you inherently trustworthy, ethical, or an authority on everything.

Although i do agree that results should be verified.
    That's more like it!

What this guy should do is publish his actual studies in a good scientific journal, where his methods and findings can be discussed, and others can try to replicate them.

Until then, what he's saying counts for nothing. It doesn't matter how many letters you have after your name, or how long you spent in school. What matters is that you're applying proper scientific rigour, and allowing your highly knowledgable peers to critique your work.

One should be very, very sceptical of anybody peddling "scientific" breakthroughs through the mass media and book deals. That's not how real science is done. Do yourself a favour and set your BS filters up to maximum when you encounter anybody who works this way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    "Poison in the food to keep you Hungary" , ummmm no.
    have you ever eaten normal home made food in other countries other than the united states? For that matter have you eaten food made IN the united states? Do you have a basis for comparison?

Beans

have you ever eaten normal home made food in other countries other than the united states? For that matter have you eaten food made IN the united states? Do you have a basis for comparison?
    Yes, I travel extensively and often the only difference is menu and in the case of the US the level of wastage.My food requirements do not change.

Beans

Yes, I travel extensively and often the only difference is menu and in the case of the US the level of wastage.My food requirements do not change.
    How long do you travel for? Which countries specifically do you visit? What kind of food are you eating (homemade vs restaurants vs junk food/ frozen food). Are you paying attention to how much you actually eat?

Have you visited less developed countries? Because if you are traveling among industrialized nations that are likely to be using the same food source/type then obviously you wouldnt see any difference.

I am interested in hearing an answer to these questions... Because among my family 20 people moved from eastern europe to the united states.. and we ALL noticed a big difference in food consumption (and ultimately our weights). With no change in eating habbits mind you (always home made food).

Beans

How long do you travel for? Which countries specifically do you visit? What kind of food are you eating (homemade vs restaurants vs junk food/ frozen food). Are you paying attention to how much you actually eat?

Have you visited less developed countries? Because if you are traveling among industrialized nations that are likely to be using the same food source/type then obviously you wouldnt see any difference.

I am interested in hearing an answer to these questions... Because among my family 20 people moved from eastern europe to the united states.. and we ALL noticed a big difference in food consumption (and ultimately our weights). With no change in eating habbits mind you (always home made food).
    USA
    Indonesia
    Bosnia
    East Temor
    Sinai
    UK
    Australia
    China
    Fiji
    Samoa
    Italy
    Germany
    France
    etc etc etc

Longest time 8 months

If you have travelled from a colder climate to a warmer climate and have not adjusted your food intake to take into account the less energy required for body heat generation you will put on weight .

Beans
    Hidden!

Are you paying attention to how much you actually eat?
    When I travel I always eat less because of stomach problems. It takes a while for my body to adapt. When or if it does, the trip is almost over.
    I believe your observation is correct, but I would blame it on more refined carbohydrates used in well developed countries. GMO effect ? I don't know, but it's very possibe.
    People who are used to tasteless products (white sandwich bread for example) tend to eat more.
    Last edited by leclerc65; January 12th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

In my experience the main difference between food in the US and elsewhere is just portion size.

Protip: if the restaurant gives you an insane amount of food, you don't have to clear your plate. They won't be offended.

Beans

USA
    Indonesia
    Bosnia
    East Temor
    Sinai
    UK
    Australia
    China
    Fiji
    Samoa
    Italy
    Germany
    France
    etc etc etc

Longest time 8 months

If you have travelled from a colder climate to a warmer climate and have not adjusted your food intake to take into account the less energy required for body heat generation you will put on weight .
    I doubt its the climate change which is the issue. Thermogenesis uses as much energy as it needs automatically
    (brown fat in the neck region). Plus, every time I travel to europe for vacation I go in the summer time when it is nice and warm. And I have noticed the same effect every time.

However, every person is very different and reacts differently to different stimuli. Drugs, food, and other environmental factors may affect people in different ways. Even our physiology is much different than you would expect (people are missing muscles, arteries which should be there dont exist, but extra ones which should not be there actually do exist), etc...

I would not be surprised if whatever is in the food is affecting people in different ways. You may be lucky to be not affected, or maybe you just have a very fast metabolism. Doesnt hold true for the rest of the population however, as indicated by the rates of obesity and diabetes.

There are other factors which contribute a lot to the issue (sedentary life style, increased portions, general choice of junk food, mating too old - makes it harder for women to lose fat gained during pregnancy). However, i firmly believe that there is something in the food which causes an increase in the appetite during the day. The effects this doc describes are exactly what I (and my family members) have felt over the years. A need to eat which returns quite often. And im not alone here. Growing up in the US educational system I have observed my classmates talk about food very often, and eat consistently even during classes. Essentially they snack during class and eat during lunch. In European schools this doesnt happen because the food is filling.

I chose my wording poorly in my previous post. I dont believe its a poison and I dont believe its use is intentional. Im not for conspiracy theories here. I do believe that there is some causative agent within the diet, due to unforeseen and unintended consequences of the modernized way of food production.

Also i am not saying what this man is saying is 100% true. Just that we shouldnt dismiss it so easily. There is an alternative explanation which i would be more inclined to agree with... and that is that the food produced in the US is very high in empty calories. The nutritional value is low because of how the food is prepared and processed. The human body gets hungry because it feels the need for nutrients, not so much calories. If you eat food which is high in calories but low in nutrients, you will always be hungry and put on a lot of weight. Thats my take on what is happening in industrialized nations.
    Last edited by DeusExM1; January 12th, 2013 at 10:30 PM.

Beans

I doubt its the climate change which is the issue. Thermogenesis uses as much energy as it needs automatically
    (brown fat in the neck region). Plus, every time I travel to europe for vacation I go in the summer time when it is nice and warm. And I have noticed the same effect every time.

However, every person is very different and reacts differently to different stimuli. Drugs, food, and other environmental factors may affect people in different ways. Even our physiology is much different than you would expect (people are missing muscles, arteries which should be there dont exist, but extra ones which should not be there actually do exist), etc...

I would not be surprised if whatever is in the food is affecting people in different ways. You may be lucky to be not affected, or maybe you just have a very fast metabolism. Doesnt hold true for the rest of the population however, as indicated by the rates of obesity and diabetes.

There are other factors which contribute a lot to the issue (sedentary life style, increased portions, general choice of junk food, mating too old - makes it harder for women to lose fat gained during pregnancy). However, i firmly believe that there is something in the food which causes an increase in the appetite during the day. The effects this doc describes are exactly what I (and my family members) have felt over the years. A need to eat which returns quite often. And im not alone here. Growing up in the US educational system I have observed my classmates talk about food very often, and eat consistently even during classes. Essentially they snack during class and eat during lunch. In European schools this doesnt happen because the food is filling.

I chose my wording poorly in my previous post. I dont believe its a poison and I dont believe its use is intentional. Im not for conspiracy theories here. I do believe that there is some causative agent within the diet, due to unforeseen and unintended consequences of the modernized way of food production.

Also i am not saying what this man is saying is 100% true. Just that we shouldnt dismiss it so easily. There is an alternative explanation which i would be more inclined to agree with... and that is that the food produced in the US is very high in empty calories. The nutritional value is low because of how the food is prepared and processed. The human body gets hungry because it feels the need for nutrients, not so much calories. If you eat food which is high in calories but low in nutrients, you will always be hungry and put on a lot of weight. Thats my take on what is happening in industrialized nations.
    I manage my food intake to account ambient temperature, level of physical activity, advancing age etc etc .

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast