Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A little advice for getting started?

Beans

Talking Re: A little advice for getting started?

And that did it. I just rebooted from the hard drive, no disc in the DVD drive, and I'm in.

Good Lord.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: A little advice for getting started?

Quote Originally Posted by sarahr View Post
    I was only prompted to select where to put the boot partition. The drive map looks like;

/boot ext2 primary
    /swap logical
    / ext3 logical
    /home ext3 logical

[about 20 gigs in unallocated space for a shared partition to be formatted as NTFS later]
    There is a root partition /, where the system is located. Good

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sarahr View Post
    And that did it. I just rebooted from the hard drive, no disc in the DVD drive, and I'm in.

Good Lord.
    Congratulations

If you feel that the problem of this thread is solved, please click on Thread Tools at the top of this page and mark this thread as SOLVED.

Otherwise we are here to continue helping are encouraging

If you have a new problem to solve, please make a new thread with a good descriptive title to attract those Ubuntu Forum members who know a lot about that kind of problem.

Beans

Yes, I'll be happy to do that. I'm also going to post a summary of the problems discussed, so people can find it.

Beans

On this thread, I worked through a number of issues that were hampering my install of 12.10.

1. The on-board hdd that shipped with my Lenovo laptop had a hidden partition that couldn't seem to be eliminated reliably with the various tools I'd tried.

Solution:
    Boot off the live DVD.

use dd at the command line to wipe the drive.

Then launch Gparted and create a new MS-DOS partition map.

Next, launch the Ubuntu installer from the live DVD.

2. The custom install that I was attempting, separating the /boot, root and /home partitions, could not be booted due to problems with GRUB that seem to be introduced when doing this kind of a setup (an error reproduced in the current version of the Ubuntu variant, Linux Mint 14 - the "COW" error.

Solution:
    After trying to run the terminal commands listed at the following URL without success, I switched to the GUI option also listed there and was able to repair my GRUB install (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post10871917).

I ran the utility, rebooted and Ubuntu successfully launched.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123