Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ubuntu 64bit doesn't recognise all RAM

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 64bit doesn't recognise all RAM

As I understand this, BartPE will create a windows XP LiveCD which will allow me to run the Toshiba BIOS upgrade. Is this correct?

If so I will try this tomorrow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JamesStewy View Post
    As I understand this, BartPE will create a windows XP LiveCD which will allow me to run the Toshiba BIOS upgrade. Is this correct?

If so I will try this tomorrow.
    - A very small and simple live CD/USB drive, with only what is necessary for repair tasks or inspection tasks, yes.

It does run in graphics mode, so you can install and run GUI programs like for example Total Commander.

Beans

SOLVED.

Firstly, I just want to thank everyone who posted on this thread. I am staggered by the help I received and I have no doubt in my mind that I wouldn't have solved it without you.

I had a very long day yesterday but this is what happened.

I firstly tried to make a BartPE LiveCD however, after numerous tweaks with different plugins I was unable to start it on my Toshiba laptop. The issue I faced was a black screen and no activity (hard drive, CD drive, nothing) just after it checked the hardware configuration. However, I was able to run it further on my new Fujitsu laptop but it got a blue screen (of death ) just after the XP splash screen.

After looking on the internet I found Win7PE (not to be confused with WinPE which is Microsoft's version) which claimed to have less compatibility issues. Following this great tutorial (http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=s...pe-se-tutorial) I was able to create a Windows 7 LiveCD. This I had more success with as I was able to completely boot into Windows 7. However, upon running the Toshiba BIOS updater exe I got a weird error message saying:
    Unable to execute the executable!
    I looked it up on the Internet and found nothing. After a lot more searching I found a page on the German Toshiba site (I lost the link) which listed all the updates to the BIOS and what the changed for my particular laptop. Under the 1.6 update it said:
    Increased support for 8gb or more RAM for Windows Vista
    Hoping that this was the solution, I found a legacy download for version 1.6 (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...e&soid=2290142). This download turned out different to the version 3.0 download as it gave three options to update the BIOS.
    1. Create a bootable Diskette
    2. Create a bootable CD/DVD
    3. Update through Windows

This ended up being the solution as I was able to create a bootable CD, update the BIOS, and bring 8gb support to Ubuntu. Free now outputs:
    Code:
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:       7975248    2024360    5950888          0     190664     720660
    -/+ buffers/cache:    1113036    6862212
    Swap:      4882428          0    4882428
    Again I would like to thank everyone who posted for their unbelievable support on this thread.

Thanks,

JamesStewy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JamesStewy View Post
    SOLVED.

Firstly, I just want to thank everyone who posted on this thread. I am staggered by the help I received and I have no doubt in my mind that I wouldn't have solved it without you.

I had a very long day yesterday but this is what happened.

I firstly tried to make a BartPE LiveCD however, after numerous tweaks with different plugins I was unable to start it on my Toshiba laptop. The issue I faced was a black screen and no activity (hard drive, CD drive, nothing) just after it checked the hardware configuration. However, I was able to run it further on my new Fujitsu laptop but it got a blue screen (of death ) just after the XP splash screen.

After looking on the internet I found Win7PE (not to be confused with WinPE which is Microsoft's version) which claimed to have less compatibility issues. Following this great tutorial (http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=s...pe-se-tutorial) I was able to create a Windows 7 LiveCD. This I had more success with as I was able to completely boot into Windows 7. However, upon running the Toshiba BIOS updater exe I got a weird error message saying:

I looked it up on the Internet and found nothing. After a lot more searching I found a page on the German Toshiba site (I lost the link) which listed all the updates to the BIOS and what the changed for my particular laptop. Under the 1.6 update it said:

Hoping that this was the solution, I found a legacy download for version 1.6 (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...e&soid=2290142). This download turned out different to the version 3.0 download as it gave three options to update the BIOS.
    1. Create a bootable Diskette
    2. Create a bootable CD/DVD
    3. Update through Windows

This ended up being the solution as I was able to create a bootable CD, update the BIOS, and bring 8gb support to Ubuntu. Free now outputs:
    Code:
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:       7975248    2024360    5950888          0     190664     720660
    -/+ buffers/cache:    1113036    6862212
    Swap:      4882428          0    4882428
    Again I would like to thank everyone who posted for their unbelievable support on this thread.

Thanks,

JamesStewy

So it was BIOS, thought so.

Cool, glad you got it sorted.

Peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    So it was BIOS, thought so.