Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The benefits of typecasting over static declaration

Beans

Re: The benefits of typecasting over static declaration

And solely just for the sake of extinguishing a potentially unproductive flame-war over semantics, I found documentation of a visual studio 2008 warning message that says:

warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'SDWORD' to 'SQLLEN *' of greater size

Yes, I can see that there is a space between the words 'type' and 'cast.'

Beans

And come on, just because something isn't explicitly stated in your most "trusted source", doesn't mean that you always have to use the word "pre-processor directive." for example.

If Microsoft is capable of getting over it, so can you. But I'll remember the next time I ask a question, to say "type conversion", or "casting", if this makes the community happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by eazar001 View Post
    If Microsoft is capable of getting over it, so can you. But I'll remember the next time I ask a question, to say "type conversion", or "casting", if this makes the community happy.
    No, it won't. Conversion and casting are different things (casting is a way to in a sense "force" a conversion, but conversions also very frequently happen implicitly).

(Also, there is a number of good reasons to ignore standards, but "Microsoft does it" is not one of them.)
    Last edited by Bachstelze; January 1st, 2013 at 08:23 AM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    No, it won't. Conversion and casting are different things (casting is a way to in a sense "force" a conversion, but conversions also very frequently happen implicitly).
    Good, I'm glad Bachstelze speaks for the community. Nonetheless, I never asked for an explanation as to how conversions come about. Conversions can come about via assignment statements. Or they can come about through casting. Great.

Beans

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg...docs/n1570.pdf

Apparently a draft of the C99 standard has exactly one occurrence of 'type cast.' Enough said.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post

(Also, there is a number of good reasons to ignore standards, but "Microsoft does it" is not one of them.)
    Also, you will notice that it is under a section labelled "Type Conversions." Just use the search function in your viewer.

Beans

never mind, this conversation has nowhere productive left to go

Beans

Exactly. This is why I hate vocab arguments; if you can understand the guy without difficulty, let it go. Otherwise it will degenerate into a battle of two or more people correcting each others' spelling mistakes.

Beans

*other's

sorry...

Beans

lol, it's okay, because:

Others' = plural possessive referring to something belonging to more than one person

But I'll resist the urge to comb through the previous parts of the thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast