Thread: Tenda W522U wireless usb adapter

Beans

Tenda W522U wireless usb adapter

I just bought Tenda 300mbps dual band wireless n usb adapter model W522U and i'd like to learn how to install linux driver.It came with a cd and there is a linux driver but i do not know how to install it.Could you please teach me the steps to install driver.Thanks.

Beans

Re: how to linux driver

does the cd contain the linux driver or do you just know there is one out there somewhere? did you google the actual card? in linux drivers are often included in the kernel you just need to sometimes manually activate them.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: how to linux driver

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    does the cd contain the linux driver or do you just know there is one out there somewhere? did you google the actual card? in linux drivers are often included in the kernel you just need to sometimes manually activate them.
    From what pancho45 said, I gather there are drivers on the CD he got with his card.

Quote Originally Posted by pancho45 View Post
    I just bought Tenda 300mbps dual band wireless n usb adapter model W522U and i'd like to learn how to install linux driver.It came with a cd and there is a linux driver but i do not know how to install it.Could you please teach me the steps to install driver.Thanks.
    Sure, but we need to know what kind of installer they gave you.

What do you have?
    - A folder full of tons of files? (Probably needs to be compiled.)
    - A .deb file? (to install: sudo dpkg -i filename.deb)
    - A binary file? (to install: sudo ./binary)

Did they give you a README file? Even if you don't understand it, you could post it in a Quote or Code box and we should be able to tell you what to do from there.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

According to this the driver rt2800usb should work

http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Tenda_W522U

rt2800usb is part of the Linux kernel but not enabled by default before 12.10.

Here is how you can activate it.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ce/Tenda_W311M

I followed the guide to enable W311M and it works quite nicely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    there is a driver in the cd:There is a folder named Linux and inside this folder:2010_0915_RT3572_Linux_STA_V2[1].4.0.2.tar
    I'm just ignorant whene it comes to work with tar file.Thank you
    guys for taking the time to help me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pancho45 View Post
    there is a driver in the cd:There is a folder named Linux and inside this folder:2010_0915_RT3572_Linux_STA_V2[1].4.0.2.tar
    I'm just ignorant whene it comes to work with tar file.Thank you
    guys for taking the time to help me.
    You don't need to install the driver. It has come with Ubuntu since 2011, maybe earlier. Just plug in your device, wait a few seconds for Networrk Manager to scan for networks, and then connect.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    According to this the driver rt2800usb should work

http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Tenda_W522U

rt2800usb is part of the Linux kernel but not enabled by default before 12.10.

Here is how you can activate it.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ce/Tenda_W311M

I followed the guide to enable W311M and it works quite nicely.
    thanks it worked just had to change 148f 5370 to 148f 3572 which is id for W522U and it worked thanks again