Thread: Vmplayer

Beans

Vmplayer

Hi,

I ma messing around with Ubuntu under vmplayer managed to update image from vmplayer to Dapper

Only I have lost vmmouse wondered if I can build it under vmplayer ?

Anyone else out there tried vmplayer & what do they think of it ?

how does it compare to Qemu ?

MrG
    MrGreen

Beans

Re: Vmplayer

Erh... If you want to play with virtual machine staying with VMWare software, you can consider using VMWare server instead of player.

Qemu ? It is slower even when you used KQemu accelerator. Qemu is great, but sometimes VMWare server is better. You can find an HOW-To for Qemu in HOW-To section.
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

VMware Player is fine, VMware Server is even better. It too is freely available (and quite easy to install).

This thread is about how to install XP under VMware Server, but part of the instructions include installing VMware Server itself: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

I used to try various distros by installing them on a test pc, but since I installed VMware server I've found this to be a much easier method. Indeed my only version of ******* is also a VMware image. I don't use it very often but its handy to have it there if I have to use it, and as a VMware image I don't even have to log out.

I haven't used Qemu, so I can't really comment on it. I had a few problems trying to install KQemu.

Beans

There is an how to and a script for qemu + kqemu.

It tried it, it worked, but I prefer VMWare server
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.