Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We need an SSD maintenance utility

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: We need an SSD maintenance utility

Quote Originally Posted by pompel9 View Post
    I have had a SSD disk for about 6 months now. I have not noticed any slow down or lack of performance. It is just as fast as when I bought it.

My PC is on 24 hours a day, and is only restarted when a update requires it. My SSD is formated in ext4 format.

Cheesemill, what does discard do?
    I haven't done any of this, so will my SSD have a shorter lifespan?
    are you using AHCI in your BIOS on your sata adapter?
    this is required for trim to work

discard=trim
    noatime extends the life of the ssd by not writing a timestamp every-time a file is accessed
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Pompel9,
    TRIM is fairly tested at this point. please look at the edit in my prior post.

Really, it's only disabled by default so users are aware that it is being used on their system, not because it's dangerous. It's not the kind of thing that will damage an ssd. Worst case, it could corrupt data but I've never even heard of that happening. On the other hand, keeping trim disabled and leaving your PC on for 24 hours per day is exactly the sort of thing that damages ssd's.

And yes, pqwoerituy... is right, AHCI must be enabled in bios for trim to work.

Beans

You might find my how-to for SSD's in Ubuntu useful:
    https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

TRIM is essential, and no bother at all. Especially when TRIM is only applied during mounting (in the course of booting), it's hardly noticeable (slows booting down by just a few seconds).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    are you using AHCI in your BIOS on your sata adapter?
    this is required for trim to work

discard=trim
    noatime extends the life of the ssd by not writing a timestamp every-time a file is accessed
    If it's not default, then no. I haven't changed anything in bios. As long as bios works, it's best not to mess with it. You have to know exactly what you do when you alter the bios.

I know, it's probably just a setting. But I rather not, since doing something wrong can brick my motherboard.

So until there is a safe way, I take my chances on my deafult setup.

Beans

If it's not default, then no. I haven't changed anything in bios. As long as bios works, it's best not to mess with it. You have to know exactly what you do when you alter the bios.

I know, it's probably just a setting. But I rather not, since doing something wrong can brick my motherboard.

So until there is a safe way, I take my chances on my deafult setup.
    Rest assured, changing *a setting* in the BIOS, could *never* brick your motherboard (with the possible exception of overclocking, but that's not the case here). Absolutely, definitely impossible. Whatever gave you that idea?

Would be a bit silly otherwise, right? A manufacturer selling a motherboard that would be bricked *by changing a bloody setting* that he put in it in the first place?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thank you for the information sudodus.

I think I will not use that until they have completed the testing. I do not want to damage my SSD.
    TRIM is absolutely fine. I've been using it for a couple of years now, as have countless other Linux users with SSDs.

Go ahead and enable it, you need it to keep your SSD in top condition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Also the TRIM command that gets sent to the disk is exactly the same command it would get sent by Windows, and TRIM is automatically switched on for all SSD's by default in Windows.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!

Yesterday (last year) I added the

discard,noatime

options to my line for the ssd root partition in /etc/fstab. I see no reason to hesitate, on the contrary. I would have done it earlier last year if I had known about it.

Actually, I used noatime before, but discard is new to me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Yesterday (last year) I added the

discard,noatime

options to my line for the ssd root partition in /etc/fstab. I see no reason to hesitate, on the contrary. I would have done it earlier last year if I had known about it.

Actually, I used noatime before, but discard is new to me.
    discard = TRIM
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!

What about discard=TRIM on an installed portable system on a USB pendrive? Will it make the system significantly slower?

I mean installed as if to an internal drive, not a persistent system, but would be happy to get recommendations for both kinds of systems.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast