Thread: UPNP Server to stream webcam to TV

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question UPNP Server to stream webcam to TV

Dear Ubuntu experts,

The last two days I spend trying to figure out how to stream my webcam to my much larger television set which supports UPNP.

To get access to my webcam is easy of course, and sending it out over a normal HTTP socket is no problem.

Code:
    cvlc v4l2:// :v4l2-vdev=/dev/video0 --sout '#transcode{vcodec=x264{keyint=60,idrint=2},vcodec=h264,vb=400,width=368,heigh=208,acodec=mp4a,ab=32,channels=2,samplerate=22100}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http{mime=video/mpeg},mux=asf,dst=:8082/stream.mpeg}}' --no-sout-audio
    Pity that I cannot point my TV to an HTTP socket, it understands UPNP however, so let me try to use that. I have been playing around with rygel, with minidlna, plexmediaserver, coherence. I just cannot make it work! The difference between playing a few movie files and online streaming of my webcam shouldn't be so great! What is the easiest way to stream my laptop (not IP) webcam to my television?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: UPNP Server to stream webcam to TV

This might be doable with rygel's gst-launch plugin. I'll try to come up with a launchline for it and get back to you

Beans

This works for me, though it adds a bit of latency and might need some fps and resolution tweaking:

Code:
    [GstLaunch]
    enabled=true
    title=Rygel GstLaunch plug-in
    launch-items=webcam
    webcam-title=Webcam
    webcam-mime=video/x-oggm
    webcam-launch=v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! capsfilter caps=video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=25/1 ! queue ! theoraenc ! oggmux name=mux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks! I will try that as soon as I am home.