Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Audio on Asus P5N-E-SLI

Beans

No Audio on Asus P5N-E-SLI

I am try again to get help on this issue. I am attaching a link to another thread I have elsewhere on the topic. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1901598. I am hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. Basic background is when I install the NVidia Driver found under Additional Drivers it breaks my audio. Before installing this driver all is well and works perfect. How the heck can a display driver break my audio? Also I have tried them all, as in the 4 available choices present in the list. Luckily I can simply remove the driver, restart, and audio returns without fail. Please someone help me understand how this can happen. I am running a PNY GeForce 8600GT.

Beans

Re: No Audio on Asus P5N-E-SLI

Bump. Anybody have any ideas. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
    Here is the information.
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=5f...5b4c5fb1be4e7f

Thanks for the reply.

Beans
    Hidden!

Driver version: 1.0.24
    Library version:
    Utilities version: 1.0.24.2
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall libasound2

Beans

I tried to install the driver again and no luck. Here is the Alsa script once more.
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=13...1a1ca4076d79d9
    Thanks.

Beans

Ok so I have tried this Nvidia Driver install yet again and you guessed it, the same result, broken sound. I do have an update to report and that is the front panel headphone does provide perfect sound. Left and right ear are perfect when I plug in headphones. Its just the speakers built into my Asus Monitor that will not work. Of course they work perfect before the application of the Nvidia Driver. After reboot is when the sound breaks. This is such a mind boggling issue and really frustrating. Out of all the machines I have running Linux, this is the only one with this issue. I really wish I could get it squared away. Next I am going to remove the Nvidia Driver and see if I have sound both at the speakers and with headphones. Hopefully someone can come up with something that may help given this new data. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robn30 View Post
    Ok so I have tried this Nvidia Driver install yet again and you guessed it, the same result, broken sound. I do have an update to report and that is the front panel headphone does provide perfect sound. Left and right ear are perfect when I plug in headphones. Its just the speakers built into my Asus Monitor that will not work. Of course they work perfect before the application of the Nvidia Driver. After reboot is when the sound breaks. This is such a mind boggling issue and really frustrating. Out of all the machines I have running Linux, this is the only one with this issue. I really wish I could get it squared away. Next I am going to remove the Nvidia Driver and see if I have sound both at the speakers and with headphones. Hopefully someone can come up with something that may help given this new data. Thanks.
    After removing the driver I now have sound at both the speakers and the headphones. I should note that if I plug in the headphones I still have sound at the speakers as well. I just also hear it through the headphones as well. I am sure I can mute the speakers somehow with alsamixer or something, but the short of it is the sound is working with the Nvidia driver removed. With the driver activated I only get headphone sound. Ok thats all I have, hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks again.

Beans

Bump. Any guru's out there who can finally put an end to this nonsense with my audio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Your video card supports pre-azalia HDMI audio (S/PDIF over HDMI).
    To make this work you have to connect the mobo S/PDIF header to the video card (3 or 4 wire).

HDMI audio from the GPU requires the proprietary driver.
    It is possible that the video card is outputting empty audio data packets & the monitor is switching to this..
    Is your monitor connected by HDMI or DVI-HDMI adapter ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast