Thread: ultrabook recommendations/suggestions?

Beans

ultrabook recommendations/suggestions?

Iím looking to get a new pc which is portable (light) and has good battery life. Iíve been looking at ultrabook laptops. Ideally I would like to run Ubuntu on it as well as Windows, with Ubuntu being my preferred operating system. However, it seems that every option I come across doesnít seem to work smoothly with Ubuntu and requires some work to set it up. Unfortunately Iím not confident enough (or good enough) to do this sort of configuration. I know a little about computers but not a lot. Iím concerned that Iíll buy something and in attempting to set it up for Ubuntu it wonít work and in doing that nothing else will work. Is there something out there that people can recommend which is simplicity itself to set up, or would I be better off getting a Windows PC and running Ubuntu through something like Virtualbox. IĎd like to be able to do all the usual things through Ubuntu such as connect wirelessly to the internet and print.

An example of the sort of thing I was looking at was a Lenova U410 but checking the forums there are issues to overcome that are beyond my computing ability. My budget is quite broad, I'll be looking for something between £500-£1000.

If this isnít a forum issue I apologise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: ultrabook recommendations/suggestions?

What sort of issues have you been reading about with that machine? I don't see why it should not work well with Ubuntu...
    Michael

Beans

Hi. With this particular machine I found this and similar comments on the forums.

"I recently bought a U410 ultrabook. With the factory settings, the ubuntu installer does not detect any disks on the system. The problem is known and has something to do with the SSD, Intel Smart response technology and the disks' RAID configuration"

It was enough to make me think I should be looking elsewhere. Am I being over cautious?

oxf is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Florin119 View Post
    Hi. With this particular machine I found this and similar comments on the forums.

"I recently bought a U410 ultrabook. With the factory settings, the ubuntu installer does not detect any disks on the system. The problem is known and has something to do with the SSD, Intel Smart response technology and the disks' RAID configuration"

It was enough to make me think I should be looking elsewhere. Am I being over cautious?
    Yes I think you are being over cautious but again thats understandable if you are not that confident. Virtually every machine will have some issues if you google it. That said if that particular machine comes up with multiple hits on that problem (s) maybe avoid it.

I was new to Ubuntu a few years ago and had a number of little "issues" over time. However, all were resolveable with help from people here on this forum. Result, I've learnt a lot and am still learning. I would say go for it and if you have problems ask for help!

Best of luck
    Caitlin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Florin119 View Post
    The problem is known and has something to do with the SSD, Intel Smart response technology and the disks' RAID configuration"

I read about this just the other day. It was on here, most likely in Absolute begginers. If you do some serching, you are likely to find the thread.

It seem that Intel uses a kind of raid setup with the combination SSD / Rotating drive. The system is on the rotating drive, and things are moved to the SSD for rapid access, or something like that.

Here, I found a reference to it.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...37&postcount=4

So, there is a way around the problem. I suppose it depends on how much you want that particular machine. There are others on the market that might give you less bother, but might not satisfy you as much.
    Michael

Beans

Thanks for the help.

There doesn't seem to be an out of the box option, which is what someone with my lack of skills needs. I'm now looking at an Asus Zenbook UX32A. If anyone has any thoughts on that machine it would be much appreciated. Otherwise at some point I'm going to close my eyes and press the buy button and hope for the best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Um, maybe you didn't hear the news, but Dell has a fully supported Ubuntu based Ultrabook.

http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/xps-13-linux/pd.aspx

Don't let the "Made for Developers" put you off, that just means they are writing additional tools for programmers to help them share development environments. It's still a very elegant piece of hardware, with better components for cheaper than the Windows version. Comes with more drivers working than I have on a Macbook at the office. Unity has three finger drag working right out of the box, which on MacOS doesn't seem to be very consistent, heh. My favorite part, the volume is outstanding. All the systems I've converted from Windows to Ubuntu the speaker volume has always been terrible, not so on the Dell. Other things of note: I plugged it into a Mini-DisplayPort VGA adapter at the office the other day, that screen came up at 1024x768 automatically. Screen brightness works just like you'd expect, volume controls, backlit keyboard, battery life, it's all so solid, it's like it was meant to be.

I expect that if Dell can get enough of these sold that they'll continue in their efforts to support Linux on the desktop. In the end that just means there will be stronger driver support from those mardware makers that have been evasive so far, like Synaptics.
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." -John Kenneth Galbraith, Economist

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that machine is not available in the UK.