Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Classical music!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Classical music!

My wife and I listen to a lot of classical music. Our favorite composers include...

From the Baroque period:

Bach, Vivaldi, Telemann

From the Classical period:

Beethoven, Brahms, Haydn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bach's Goldberg Variations is lovely for its sitting-back-and-losing-ones-self-to-ness. In the novel Silence of the Lambs, we're told that Hannibal Lecter is listening to the Variations while he butchers his guards and makes good his escape. I'm not sure about the movie - I don't have a copy to hand - but it may well be different, that movie played fast and loose with a few details, famously that line about enjoying a census taker's liver "with some fava beans and a nice chianti" whereas in the novel he says the wine was "a big Amarone". Nevertheless I can imagine that the Variations would be splendid background music while one peels off a corrections officer's face and wears it as a mask to expedite one's escape.

EDIT: After a little research (Google Is My Friend) I believe it is the Goldberg Variations in the movie. And interestingly, that isn't the only use of the Variations in the tale - check out this link to Hannibal Lecter's Guide to the Goldberg Variations.
    Last edited by t0p; January 2nd, 2013 at 02:03 AM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog photoblog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Statia View Post
    But it is a classic...
    LOL! There is a certain uncomplicated "something" about the song which helps with its appeal.

Worthy of mention: Felix Mendelsohn's "Hebrides" overture, a.k.a. Fingal's Cave. It was one of the set pieces I studied music at school back in the 1970s, as was the opening movement for Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans

While I have an appreciation for classical music, I dont tend to listen to it just to listen to it. However I do love to play many songs on the piano such as the popular Canon in D, Fur Elise and many others.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My fav composers:

Boccherini
    Bach
    Vaughn Williams
    Vivaldi
    Handel