Thread: Mounting drives - issues

Beans

Mounting drives - issues

Hi,

I've eventually got my Ubuntu system running again after a problem with a SATA cable, and all seems well, except, I cannot mount one of my drives which I keep my stuff on.

In folder window, I see three devices in the top left, when I click on each an arrow appears next to it (which I assume means its mounted) and I can view the files.

The last drive, when I click on it, does nothing and then 'Unable to Mount Hard Disk' 'Operation was cancelled' appears. The hard disk then disappears from the list of devices on the left.

It only reappears when I reboot - and I get the same issue when I try to access it?

I used to be able to access this drive before I had the issue with the SATA cable.

Any advice?

Edit: I should add, the machine also has a Win7 install on a separate drive (not the one I can't mount) - If I boot to Windows 7, I can access the drive which I cannot mount in Ubuntu fine.)
    Last edited by archie456; December 31st, 2012 at 02:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Mounting drives - issues

If this is a drive that is formatted in the ntfs file system (used by MS Windows), then connect the drive to a Windows system and have it checked using the disk repair tools of Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

You keep saying "drive" but I suspect that these are actually partitions -- all on a single, physical drive, right?

Since you can access that partition in Win7, next time you boot into it, open the Disk Management utility and look at the partition. If it says Dynamic Disk next to it in the table at the top -- Linux can't use those types of partitions, but Win7 can.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Mounting drives - issues

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    You keep saying "drive" but I suspect that these are actually partitions -- all on a single, physical drive, right?

Since you can access that partition in Win7, next time you boot into it, open the Disk Management utility and look at the partition. If it says Dynamic Disk next to it in the table at the top -- Linux can't use those types of partitions, but Win7 can.
    If you're not sure... you could post a screenshot of your disk manager, and we can assist you further with that information.

Beans

Thanks for your help chaps - I booted into Windows 7 and CHKDSKed the disk and it found errors - which I assume is the problem.

I'll have to run some more checks on the disks to find out whats wrong with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux will not automatically mount ntfs partitions that are "unclean". Once checked and repaired ith chkdisk, the parition will correctly mount under Ubuntu.