Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Script cannot access external HDD (ntfs)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Script cannot access external HDD (ntfs)

Maybe Transmission wants the downloaded files to stay where they were downloaded, so that they are available as seeds for others using Transmission. That could be a reason that the script gets limited write access.

Another option might be that you start a script yourself and that script in turn runs Transmission. And when Tranmission has finished, the script moves the files to the external drive. (Did I get it right, that a script started by you can write to the external drive?)

Disadvantage: You need workspace for the files to be stored temporarily on the internal drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    You could just use a different torrent client like qbittorrent or ktorrent which has a tick box which says "move completed torrents to"
    I am already using that option in Transmission as well, and it works. What I would like to have is two copies of the completed file(s). 1 copy on the internal hdd and 1 copy one the external hdd. The "move completed torrent to" only leaves 1 copy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kjeldgaard View Post
    I am already using that option in Transmission as well, and it works. What I would like to have is two copies of the completed file(s). 1 copy on the internal hdd and 1 copy one the external hdd. The "move completed torrent to" only leaves 1 copy.

ahhhh ok, gotcha.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!

Oh, well, this info will help.

I suggest that you make a separate script, that you run manually or from cron. And in this script you run

rsync

It is well documented, see
    Code:
    man rsync
    to copy new files from the internal drive to the external one. For example

Code:
    rsync -av /home/xbmc/Complete/ /media/xbmc/MedieHD/Complete

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Maybe Transmission wants the downloaded files to stay where they were downloaded, so that they are available as seeds for others using Transmission. That could be a reason that the script gets limited write access.

Another option might be that you start a script yourself and that script in turn runs Transmission. And when Tranmission has finished, the script moves the files to the external drive. (Did I get it right, that a script started by you can write to the external drive?)

Disadvantage: You need workspace for the files to be stored temporarily on the internal drive.
    I don't think this is the case. When transmission trigger this script it works as long as the target folder is on the internal hdd:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ -e "$TR_TORRENT_DIR/$TR_TORRENT_NAME" ]; then
    cp -R "$TR_TORRENT_DIR/$TR_TORRENT_NAME" "/your/path/to/copies/" 2>/dev/null
    fi
    And I just realized that this is probably the best solution.
    1: Call above script with temp-target folder on internal hdd.
    2: In the temp-target folder everything is moved to the target folder on the external hdd.

Disadvange, double amount of space required for some time.

Anybody knows a "move-everything" script that runs every X minutes/hours?

Thanks,
    Kjeldgaard

Beans
    Hidden!

Anybody knows a "move-everything" script that runs every X minutes/hours?

Thanks,
    Kjeldgaard
    See post # 24.

Copy directly from the original download using rsync. No need for another temporary copy.

Beans

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the help.

I won't have time to test it today, but I'll get back with the outcome.

Happy New Year,
    Kjeldgaard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123