If you run into the same (or similar) problem that I did, then follow these steps. These steps worked for me:
- Open Windows or some operating system that will allow you to edit partitions.
- Delete the Linux partition and reformat it.
- Get another Linux distro (I used Linux Mint)
- Install that distribution of Linux
- (optional) If this works, then reinstall Ubuntu if you still want to use Ubuntu.
Hi. I'm new to the forum, but I have been running Ubuntu for some time now, and this is the first time I've run into a problem I wasn't able to solve. I'm on a phone, so please excuse any typos.
A bit less than a week ago, I got up one morning and turned on my two year old laptop computer, and when I tried to start Ubuntu 12.10, I got a black screen, which lasted a few hours of waiting until I force shut down the computer. After a few reboots, I managed to get to the loading screen which after a few seconds, froze, and forced me to force shut off the computer after I waited long enough to see that nothing was happening. I was able to use the "drop to root" option in the recovery mode, so that I can access the terminal. I googled the problem, but couldn't find anything that worked, so I tried to boot the computer using a USB Key that I had lying around. The same thing happened, where the booting up loading dots animation froze and the computer would not boot, even after waiting for a long time. I tried booting th computer up in failsafeX mode, and it started running fsck (filesystem check), which has been running for about 15 hours, with no sign of the computer doing anything.
I can only think of a few things that could have caused this problem:
- I installed Apache 2 and hadn't rebooted since that install. That may have caused the problem.
- I recently installed windows 7 on a dual boot, but I have performed multiple reboots since the install, and there wasn't any problems.
- I flew on an airplane right before the problem started. Not sure how this could cause a problem, but it's worth noting, I guess.
To restate what I have tried:
- Booting it up regularly many times
- LinuxLive USB key
- Booting it up in failsafeX mode
Nothing seems to work, and the problem started somewhat randomly. If anyone could help, that would be great, if you need any information about anything, just tell me what you need and I will try to get it. Thanks!