Thread: Troubles finding/installing driver for wifi

Beans

Troubles finding/installing driver for wifi

Hello,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and I've started using it only recently. However I'm having a problem with my wireless connection. There are no connections available and there is a red ! where the little icon should be.
    I thought it could be a driver issue because everything works on Windows on the same laptop. So I ran sudo lshw -C network and there was UNCLAIMED at the top which (according to an article I read) means that there is no driver loaded.
    To check which device I typed lspci (in terminal) and i got:
    12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 4727 (rev 01)
    13:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

I can't connect to the Internet anyhow on Linux, however I have another laptop which is functioning properly so I can download things from there.

Can I have any assistance in installing this driver?
    I already checked if ndiswrapper is intalled and it is.

Thanks in advance,
    elliem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Troubles finding/installing driver for wifi

Is there a particular reason that installed 10.04, it's only supported for a few more months.

If you install 12.04 instead you will get 5 years of support and there is a good chance that your wireless will work straight away as newer versions have support for more hardware built in.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!

I found this thread about the same issue. Maybe it will work for you too.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10082332

Otherwise I think it is a good idea to try a newer version of Ubuntu, or a lighter version Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Try 12.04 LTS, which is 2 years newer and has much better built-in drivers for wifi devices.

End of life of Ubuntu 10.04 is April 2013.
    Last edited by sudodus; December 31st, 2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: ninja'd by Cheesemill

Beans

Well... I installed this version 2 years ago and I sort of neglected it because of this very problem. I will attempt to install a newer version and come back to let you guys know how it went.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elliem View Post
    Hello,
    I already checked if ndiswrapper is intalled and it is.
    It shouldn't be, not for a Broadcom chipset.

When you launch a LiveCD session of Ubuntu, you'll be notified *in the live session* about the presence of an installable driver for Broadcom. Do so *in the live session*, and only then install Ubuntu on your hard drive.

Choose preferably 12.04.1 LTS, and you might prefer Xubuntu 12.04.1 over main Ubuntu, if you don't like desktop environment Unity.
    Tips, tweaks and how-to's for Ubuntu and Mint:
    http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject
    In for a pleasant surprise? Give Xubuntu a try:
    http://sites.google.com/site/easylin...roject/xubuntu