Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OpenVPN client can't connect from outside LAN

Beans

Re: OpenVPN client can't connect from outside LAN

This is seriously doing my head in!! I just don't get it.

I disabled the macbook forwarded ports as you suggested, and ran the open port check tool again; ports 1194 and 22 are still closed.

I also took the time to contact my ISP - they say its my router. What have I done wrong? I am starting to think that maybe the ports need to be opened through my ubuntu server, but again, if they weren't, I wouldn't be able to connect through the port on the LAN.

Beans

Right, the OpenVPN port is already open on the Ubuntu box if you can connect to it internally. I believe installing the OpenVPN server on it automatically opens that port, anyway.

You're just going to have to play with the port forwarding in the NAT til you get it figured out. Again, make sure you don't have any triggering rules. Try deleting ALL the port forwarding rules and starting over. Are you sure disabling the firewall doesn't actually BLOCK everything? Maybe it's also a matter of dealing with the router manufacturer to help figure out the settings.

You might even do a factory reset of the router (but of course, be careful to note down the important settings to set it back up again properly).

Usually, port forwarding in a consumer router is rather easy. Then again, yours is the first I've seen that has that "port triggering" feature.

If you happen to have a spare router, you could turn the ZyXEL into a bridge so it just does the DSL modem function and passes on the IP to the WAN of another router that you know how to configure. But that would be a shame to have to go to that extreme. I'm sure you can get the ZyXEL figured out one way or another!

Beans

just to check.. earlier the replies talked about changing the ip to 80.x.x.197

this was a placeholder for the public ip address of your router.

did you properly fill in the actual public address, rather than the version with x.x in it?

Beans

@ahallubuntu:

I finally figured it out! The ISP-worker I talked to recently seemed to not be knowing their systems well. I called them today, and apparently they close ALL incoming ports from the WAN. The solution to this is a static ip-address So I am just waiting for them to set it up, and will get back at you with the outcome.

Thanks for your help so far

@gschoppe:

Of course

Beans

@ahallubuntu:

It works now! Perfect! It was simply just a static IP I needed from my ISP, forwarding ports and voila! I can now get a client to connect to the VPN server.

But now I'm having an issue. I have connected through the VPN, but now I can't access the VPN server through SSH, and can't get access to the router's gateway. What is funny, is that I briefly see the router-login at 192.168.1.1 but it doesnt fully load the page, and afterwards times out.

Let me know which kind of information I need to post. I think it has to do with my interfaces config. I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT::: It's now fixed. I knew it was a configuration issue. It just wasn't in the interfaces, but in my openvpn server config file. I changed the following:

Code:
    ;local 192.168.1.54
    mode server
    and

Code:
    ;push "route 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0"
    push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"
    And that solved my issue!
    Last edited by Madi1986; January 20th, 2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: SOLVED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12