Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Best WiFi USB Dongle

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    15

    Re: Best WiFi USB Dongle

    Quote Originally Posted by The Spectre View Post
    I guess you are still having problems?

    This is how I updated to the latest Linux Kernel...
    http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/12/inst...on-ubuntu.html

    Have you installed any Proprietary ATI or NVIDIA Drivers?

    Sometimes the Kernel Updates don't get along with Proprietary Video Card Drivers.
    I am not having problems right now, using it for 5 and a half hours now and it works fine.

    A little bit afraid to reboot though but I think I will do it soon.

    And if I have problems then, I let it be for tonight and chill in bed with my netbook.

    I have the 'current' nvidia driver installed.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    172
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Best WiFi USB Dongle

    Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    I am not having problems right now, using it for 5 and a half hours now and it works fine.

    A little bit afraid to reboot though but I think I will do it soon.

    And if I have problems then, I let it be for tonight and chill in bed with my netbook.

    I have the 'current' nvidia driver installed.
    Hopefully everything will continue to work properly.

    If not and you decide to Update your Linux Kernel you might want to uninstall the NVIDIA Proprietary Driver to play it safe.

    I used to have the ATI Proprietary Video Card Driver installed and when I first did the Linux Kernel update it booted to a Black Screen and when I uninstalled the ATI Proprietary Video Card Driver everything worked properly.

    Since then I have never bothered with the ATI Proprietary Video Card Drivers again and have done many Linux Kernel Updates without any problems.

    Unless you need some advanced Settings or Options that are in the NVIDIA Proprietary Video Card Driver you might be better of using the Native Linux Kernel Driver.

    If for some reason your computer has problems after the Linux Kernel Update all you have to do is power on your Computer and hold down the SHIFT key to bring up the Grub boot menu then select the previous Linux Kernel to boot from then you can Purge the Linux Kernel so it wont try to Boot from it again.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    15

    Re: Best WiFi USB Dongle

    Quote Originally Posted by The Spectre View Post
    Hopefully everything will continue to work properly.

    If not and you decide to Update your Linux Kernel you might want to uninstall the NVIDIA Proprietary Driver to play it safe.

    I used to have the ATI Proprietary Video Card Driver installed and when I first did the Linux Kernel update it booted to a Black Screen and when I uninstalled the ATI Proprietary Video Card Driver everything worked properly.

    Since then I have never bothered with the ATI Proprietary Video Card Drivers again and have done many Linux Kernel Updates without any problems.

    Unless you need some advanced Settings or Options that are in the NVIDIA Proprietary Video Card Driver you might be better of using the Native Linux Kernel Driver.

    If for some reason your computer has problems after the Linux Kernel Update all you have to do is power on your Computer and hold down the SHIFT key to bring up the Grub boot menu then select the previous Linux Kernel to boot from then you can Purge the Linux Kernel so it wont try to Boot from it again.
    Installed the new kernel, didnt do anything for me, how do I make GRUB boot my old kernel automatically/remove the new one?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    28
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Best WiFi USB Dongle

    USB is always going to be slower and perhaps less reliable because it simply can't contain all the technology it needs to for a good all round experience. If you are just wanting something to get a few tasks done, its a good option and runs well with Ubuntu.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fareham, UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Best WiFi USB Dongle

    The title implies you are looking for a new wifi dongle correct? If you are I recommend the Alfa awus036n series here, I bought one on the recommendation of a friend apparently they have a reputations as the hackers wifi dongle, I don't know about that but its the best wifi dongle i have ever used. Its very inexpensive compared to some OTT dongles you can get out there. It has worked with "out of the box" behaviour since I got it a few years ago, I've not yet found a linux distro that it doesn't just plug in and work on and it seems to have a huge range, I can pick up 48 networks on it compared to six on an equivilent priced netgear dongle,
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    172
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Best WiFi USB Dongle

    Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    Installed the new kernel, didnt do anything for me, how do I make GRUB boot my old kernel automatically/remove the new one?
    If you are not having any problems with the new Linux Kernel you are better off staying with it because of the many improvements and changes that where made.

    Linux Kernel 3.7 Changes...
    http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges

    The Kernel driver probably isn't taking over because of the Driver that you previously installed for the Edimax 7811un.

    It's a bummer that you are having problems with it, all I had to do was plug it in to the USB Port and connect to my network.

    Here is some additional info that I found online that might help...
    https://www.cianmcgovern.com/getting...king-on-linux/

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    15

    Re: Best WiFi USB Dongle

    Quote Originally Posted by The Spectre View Post
    If you are not having any problems with the new Linux Kernel you are better off staying with it because of the many improvements and changes that where made.

    Linux Kernel 3.7 Changes...
    http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges

    The Kernel driver probably isn't taking over because of the Driver that you previously installed for the Edimax 7811un.

    It's a bummer that you are having problems with it, all I had to do was plug it in to the USB Port and connect to my network.

    Here is some additional info that I found online that might help...
    https://www.cianmcgovern.com/getting...king-on-linux/
    Thank you a lot. And Happy New Year!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •