Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revo RL80 ubuntu 12.04 intel hd i915 htpc xbmc

Beans

Re: Revo RL80 ubuntu 12.04 intel hd i915 htpc xbmc

how can I install this patch in the Ubuntu 3.2.0.xx kernel ? When will be included this patch in Ubuntu original kernel or in mainline kernel?

Beans

The patch has now been merged into the drm-intel-nightly tree!

There are pre-built Ubuntu .debs of the kernel here that work for me in 12.10:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...-04-18-raring/

Download the linux-headers...all.deb plus the other two .debs appropriate for your arch into a new dir. Go into the dir you downloaded them and install using "sudo dpkg -i *.deb"

Remember to remove any workarounds you had previously set in /etc/default/grub (such as i915.modeset=0 or similar) and run "sudo update-grub".

Reboot, then you'll have a working i915 driver with full HW acceleration!

Get hold of the package libva-intel-vaapi-driver and use something like SMPlayer to get full-screen 1080p video playing without a hiccup (only ~50% CPU usage!).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rodhull View Post
    The patch has now been merged into the drm-intel-nightly tree!

There are pre-built Ubuntu .debs of the kernel here that work for me in 12.10:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...-04-18-raring/

Download the linux-headers...all.deb plus the other two .debs appropriate for your arch into a new dir. Go into the dir you downloaded them and install using "sudo dpkg -i *.deb"

Remember to remove any workarounds you had previously set in /etc/default/grub (such as i915.modeset=0 or similar) and run "sudo update-grub".

Reboot, then you'll have a working i915 driver with full HW acceleration!

Get hold of the package libva-intel-vaapi-driver and use something like SMPlayer to get full-screen 1080p video playing without a hiccup (only ~50% CPU usage!).
    Hi,

I just registered to say thank you, it worked for me flawlessly.
    Now using Ubuntu 12.10 with Acer Revo RL80 with no problems.

I was going to build the kernel from source, didn't know about that ppa

The sad news is, this patch won't make it for 13.04

Beans

okay, so i've entered this world of pain and bought one of these. it had feedos on it. I didn't even look at that.

So 12.04 server doesn't work, except by blacklisting, i finally worked how to do that one.

So please help me:
    a) do I need to install 12.10 a fresh and then apply the .deb packages described? I can't seem to get my 12.04 to upgrade
    b) Those nightly builds linked in previous posts are not available, if I do a fresh install will the new latest 12.10 nightly builds work?
    c) or is it patched and working in 13.04 by now? (I'll set that to download and perhaps see shall I?)

Many thanks,
    Jim.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimwild100 View Post
    c) or is it patched and working in 13.04 by now? (I'll set that to download and perhaps see shall I?)
    Hey Jim, did you try this already?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fieus View Post
    Hey Jim, did you try this already?
    If anyone's still following this thread the very good news is that the Saucy Salamander 64 bit desktop alpha 2 release seems to work straight out of the box. The 12.10 release gives video problems, but the patch seems to have made it in to 13.10⍺2.

Beans

@rag2: still following yeah Thanks for the update. I'll try it later this week. Do you know by any chance weather the (digital) audio also does work?

Beans

@rag2: still following yeah Thanks for the update. I'll try it later this week. Do you know by any chance weather the (digital) audio also does work?
    Sadly the machine is currently decommissioned following a move, but, as far as I can recall, Sound Settings offered HDMI audio. Can't remember if there was an option for SPDIF output. Should be up & running again in a few days. Iff I remember, I'll post the results here—there's a lot of other stuff going on at present!

Beans

The pulse audio chooser offers SPDIF, but I've not had the opportunity actually to use this, HDMI (digital audio) does work, plugging in a cable reveals a headphone output option, which works fine (and is always labelled headphones)—this is absent without a cable plugged in. An external USB DAC is correctly found and behaves correctly. No complaints on the audio output front. YMMV

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123