Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revo RL80 ubuntu 12.04 intel hd i915 htpc xbmc

Beans

Revo RL80 ubuntu 12.04 intel hd i915 htpc xbmc

Hi

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a Acer nettop Revo RL80 without success. I tried xorg x-swat, xorg edgers, linux kernel 3.2, 3.5 and 3.6 (3.6.5 specifically) but I cannot get the Intel HD videocard to work. If I set nomodeset in a file in the /etc/modprobe.d directory or in the /etc/default/grub file I can boot. This is without any video card hardware acceleration. No need to say this s*xx for a PC meant to use as XBMC player. So a 10 FPS with CPU at 200%

The problem is see is or a black screen, but most of the time I see a colorful screen showing all rainbow colors.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Revo RL80 ubuntu 12.04 intel hd i915 htpc xbmc

Not sure how much I can help, but my 2 cents would be to use other distros to see if its only ubuntu (you could try lubuntu for example), or if the harddrive you plan to use is empty I would suggest also xbmcbuntu.

I would also ask you why you chose that model with the Intel card, they arent the ones most known for good HD performance (not even video gaming performance). In general, xbmc/gaming requires a good 3D card (you can also look at the xbmc wiki, they show the minimun requisites).

But, even if you werent to use the system for HD media, any distro should work, and if none do I would think is because the system was originally designed to only run window$ (I've seen some) and as such makes it harder to get linux working on them (not that is impossible, just way harder).

Also, try the xbmc forums, you might not be the first who has encountered this problem. My best suggestions is try other distros, lubuntu or macbuntu would be my choices, but intel video suxxx (usually).

I have run xbmc many times, (and I love it), but never tried to do it on intel video cause they dont have the same power that nvidia/ati do have.

ELP

PS: If the sole use of that system is going to be XBMC... you could even go with Openelec.
    PS2: Another suggestion, install ubuntu using another computer, then bring the hard drive to this one. This one Im using right now has been exchanged between 5 different computer systems (and has nvidia/ati drivers), used in both AMD and Intel cpus, and ATI and Nvidia gpus as well. Its one of my preffered things about Ubuntu, I can simply move the hard drive between computers with utmost confidence that it will work. I would simply install (in your case) ubuntu plain, and if it works, then install xbmc on it and enjoy.
    Last edited by SR_ELPIRATA; December 30th, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
    HTPC: MSI FM2-A55M-E33 mobo, Amd A8-5600k APU, 6GB RAM, 120GB Crucial SSD Ubuntu Mate 15.04, 500GB Windows XP SP3, HDMI Video, 5.1ch Analog Audio, XBMC/Kodi

Beans

Well, thanks for the reply. I also noticed the support for Intel GFX is just plain bad. In the mean while I found Mythbuntu 11.10 is able to install. I'm now upgrading it to 12.04, for which I know it will break the install, but I also found a solution for that.

The Revo RL80 is by many users perceived as a good solution for a htpc - XBMC pc. It is the successor of the RL3600 which is very good. A pity that they put an Intel HD GFX inside.
    More info http://www.amazon.de/Acer-Aspire-Des...dp/B009YQ1XWA/
    Last edited by fieus; December 31st, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Beans

Same problem here with Revo RL80 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - It stops at some point with a flashing screen during install (with no text.)

Thanks for the tip on Mythbuntu 11.10. At least that installs and saved me trying lots of distro's! I also tried the automated upgrade to 12.04 from within Mythbuntu, but the screen problems return after reboot.

i'm not using it as a HTPC, just a low power server.

Any other experiences or ideas to get a stock Ubuntu 12 on the Revo?

Beans

I had the exact same problem but after much digging I found this:
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/217767

...and I finally got the installer for 12.10 booting by using the suggestion in that post and editing the boot line using the F6 option and adding:

i915.blacklist=1

before the "--"

This appears to stop Ubuntu from trying to use the i915 module (which seems to be causing problems with this hardware), and it will fall back to VESA instead.

It installed fine but then gave similar issues on first boot - simply hit shift as Grub starts, and you should be able to use "e" to edit the boot line and add the blacklist option again.

To make it permanent, once booted, again follow actionparsnip's instructions...

Beans

Thanks!! - I've not had time to test all of it, but the install is working. So I'm sure the rest will as well.

Beans

I had the same problem with an RL80

I got 12.04.1 installed using the alternate installer in expert mode. But to get it to boot post-install, I had to use the rescume mode, and add nomodeset to the grub kernel paramers.

Works ok now, except for no hw acceleration, which sucks, as the whole point of it was xbmc

I also tried the xorg-edgers ppa, but that didn't give me any benefit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

intel and nvidia's code is broken in ubuntu and many other distros that are based on ubuntu like xbmcbuntu...
    If Ubuntu had 31 flavors then we could call it Baskin' Ubuntu.

Beans

Has there been any movement on this? I'm also using xorg-edgers and there's still no improvement - there doesn't seem to be a way of using the correct Intel drivers presently, only the VESA one (which doesn't accelerate video decoding)...

Beans

I am considering buying one of these revo RL80's, I already have the RL70 version and i think its great...but I am somewhat put off buying now!!

Can somebody try this and let us know the results:

Modify the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line in /etc/default/grub to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="video=i915:modeset=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 pcie_aspm=force"

Then run:

sudo update-grub

After running update-grub restart ubuntu!

NOTE: You may wish to also try with i915.modeset=0

Also it maybe worth trying the following:

edit the file /etc/mkinicpio.conf and add:

MODULES="intel_agp drm i915"

I hope it helps!
    Last edited by purct; January 18th, 2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Update Note
    check out my linux blog here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast