Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dv video stripped from camcorder editor to trim end of file?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: dv video stripped from camcorder editor to trim end of file?

I am trying flowblade now.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/flowb...eo-editor.html

I have the feeling your supposed to keep the dv file direct from the tape around for future mods and export a 'finished' video file for say youtube. I was kinda hoping not to need to do that, but I can see it losing quality on x264 playback compared to the original dv file. Plus I am very new at this encoding and so many choices to make! SO I guess will have to keep originals and an encoded copy. Some of the tapes are +20 years old but still seem ok.

I was planning on taking a lot of digital8 tapes around 50 tapes and putting them on the computer hardrive. Then copy and give to my parents. He will not want large dv 13gb files so the idea was to edit then turn into x264 video files.

I did a few using windows movie maker on XP. This took the tape and realtime encoded in 720x480 vbr WMV file of about 1 to 1.5gb size. They actually look fairly decent. Using Windows Movie Maker, I saw no option to create any raw DV output file. WMM has a download for windows7. This new version of WMM can output straight to h264.
    Last edited by sdowney717; December 30th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

part of my problem is in the re encoding understanding. I am going to kill this one. says has 45 hours left on the process!

It is why I liked handbrake, it was simple and fast about 40 minutes for the same video.

Another test I did was using openshot to re-encode. I has taken from 10:06 till now at 17:23 for the process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

What sort of processor are you running? Video processing/conversion can use some serious horsepower and benefits from a very fast, multicore machine with buckets of ram....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!

core2 duo e6550
    8gb ddr3

yes it is totally wimpy or is it?
    anyway I am trying windows7 and WMM.
    it is pretty dumbed down.

I somehow managed to find a trim feature, pulls video off front and back. Get this, you need a calculator to figure out the ending seconds as when you move the slider, the ending trim seconds do not move. But the beginning trim ones will move.

Right now it is doing a conversion to a 'computer pc'
    it is saying 40mb per second of video. And it is about 25% done after about 10 minutes.

I think the problem is I have to use these non linear editors to edit and that means dealing with them trying to export the final video file. and so far it is painfully slow. It is relatively speedy to use handbrake on Linux, about what WMM is doing. I may have to give up on using Linux for editing, unless I can figure out why it is so slow.

I see no mention of codecs or anything in the WMM software, just a bunch of preset devices to encode towards.

ALSO, Windows7 CAN NOT HANDLE DV Video, it does not think those DV files are video. I tried playing one with WMP and cant. And WMM cant load them.
    Last edited by sdowney717; December 31st, 2012 at 02:01 AM.

Beans

Talking Re: dv video stripped from camcorder editor to trim end of file?

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    core2 duo e6550
    8gb ddr3

yes it is totally wimpy or is it?
    Well it does have a 2.33GHz clock speed but in terms of video processing there would probably be a wimp factor involved
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!

I noticed something about kino.
    We have 2 video cameras.
    One is standard hi8
    One is digital hi8
    Both Sony.
    Both types of tapes are being played back on the digital sony camera.
    The tapes made on the non digital camera when ripped with kino show a video line mirror shiny what can I call it sort of like a tiny bit of the vertical frame out of place under the bottom edge of the recorded video.
    That line does not show in the LCD view on the camera, but only on the video ripped from the camera.

the tapes recorded in DigitalHi8 on this camera when ripped, do not show that line.

And the tapes recorded in standard when ripped with WMM in win7, do not show that line under the video.
    So only Kino shows this when ripping non digitally recorded tapes.

Is there a way to get rid of that blanking line?

here is a screen shot, if you look along the lower edge you will see it. When watching the video it flashes around, and extends all along the lower edge. In this case by the wheel, you will see it. It is like the entire frame is pushed up too high.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sdowney717; December 31st, 2012 at 03:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Cinelerra can render to DV codec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBs-biS8-y4

Which is what I wanted.
    As he says in the video, it is best to keep your changes in the original DV until your done doing what ever your done doing to the video. Plus your saving changes much quicker.

Can any others render to DV like this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12